VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I Appeal My P&t Effective Date

Rate this question

parforever

Question

I was recently revaluated and the VA said there is no change and awarded me P&T with Dependent Education Assistance (Chapter 35). Not one of my 18 conditions changed in percentage and are all exactly the same as my original claim upon retirement in late 2007. The effective date of being Permanent and Total is July 15. My question is since all my conditions are exactly the same as when I retired is it possible I could win an appeal to get the P&T established in 2007 vs 2015. For obvious reasons I'm asking as I have children who have a total of 7 college years behind them starting in 2010 to current. My children still have 6 years of college ahead between them so I'm very grateful, but if I won an appeal that would mean one of children who graduated would get 4 years worth of benefits. My reasoning is the fact I was in the same condition today that I was in 2007 and should have been P&T then. Any guidance is much appreciated.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Well everything I have read makes me think I should feel blessed that I still have 2 kids left with 6 years of college left between them. Wasn't sure and figured it was at least worth asking the questions and hearing from folks who have been through it. :)

• HadIt.com Elder

Well everything I have read makes me think I should feel blessed that I still have 2 kids left with 6 years of college left between them. Wasn't sure and figured it was at least worth asking the questions and hearing from folks who have been through it. :)

Please bear in mind that they probably won't pay for 6yrs. They usually pay for 48 months(9mos each yr, for 4yrs) and it's just the monthly stipend, while they're in school.

pr