VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

patmend2

Question

Hello Everyone,

After being approved for Voc Rehab and driving 35 miles back and forth to the VR&E office, I was recently sent a letter denying me for these benefits. Overall, it was a TERRIBLE experience. I felt like she was patronizing me each time i walked into her office. Despite taking the tests, giving her my transcripts and everything going smoothly(i thought), it seemed like each time I met with her their were new reasons to string me along not give me an IWRP. One time it was the testing, the next time it was that she wasnt prepared. I almost felt as if the counselor Allison, Didn't want me to be a part of the program(despite being approved and being entitled for the VR&E benefits). I felt defeated and even went as far as calling the regional office in Philadelphia. That proved to not work as the associate VRO told me that "my counselor knows my situation and file best, she should be able to point me in the right direction."

Can anyone else share their experience (good, bad or ugly) and interactions with VOC Rehab getting(or TRYING TO get) the benefits we are entitled to in the VR&E program?

Thanks,

Pat

1 minute ago, Berta said:

This is the second time in a week that Alex has insulted many of us .AGAIN ..and besides the form he mentioned to someone was the Wrong  form----------because that widow's claims situation changed AGAIN----

You are right- there has been a significant change in his behavior over the years. Even those on his site noticed it.

I for one refuse to be intimidated by him and I dont care whose POA he Holds ( Tbirds) -I wouldn't care if he held the POA of the POPE.

I dont need any of this crap. 

Obviously we are still being expected to put up with it. 

Not me. 

while I agree with you, i am just tired of having to listen to the crap followed by the whine followed by another attack.

My child is grown and out of the house, I don't need to put up with another one.

• HadIt.com Elder

Paul ,

I ask Pete this question  he mention it in his post (What he got from the ILP.) From a  2015 post.

''I got ILP in Dallas but it took 3 years and 4 Vet Councillors one approved 2 Veterans in 18 months. I really think it is unfair to take 100% Veterans who know they can't work to go through the basic programs that are used to find jobs for Veterans. Using ILP and a Grant I got my bathroom remolded with walkin shower, 2 new high toilets, second bathroom painted and a pair of temperpedic beds that cost VA 8,000 bucks. I was supposed to get a new HVAC System but my VA Councilor said he would not approve it on his watch.

I have since figure out what high toilets is?The commodes are about 3 to 4 inches higher   and that makes is easier to get up. 😉

• HadIt.com Elder

We all will need To be approved for the things we want that would benefit us and our disability's   I would think its things like Pete mention  things that help us around the house  like his new bathroom with walk in shower and the 2 new higher commodes (toilets)but also ILP is for helping the veteran seek a new and better life   we can or use to get riding lawn mowers , camera's  , wood working tools like lays  turning machines, computers laptops, And I think Flat Screens TV's. what ever our hobby's are, the ILP is there to help us afford all this stuff  to live a better way of life  but it has changed up it seems..

The higher ups from ILP will come out and do the assessments them self to see just how disable we actually are to give their approval   and I think that's just flat wrong.  IT SEEMS IF THEY LIKE YOU YOU MAY GET APPROVED.

For some veterans they have disability's that are not visual to other people like PTSD  or  a bad disease  ect,,,ect,,  you don't have to be in a wheel chair to be disabled.

Edited by Buck52

2 hours ago, Buck52 said:

The commodes are about 3 to 4 inches higher   and that makes is easier to get up.

I plan to install them in my next house...much easier on the knees...:)

• HadIt.com Elder

Yeah paul I bet they are a lot better,...I didn't know ILP would buy them and have them installed? Pete got them via ILP

It's been over 18/19 years since I was in the ILP, The only thing my counselor got me was a smoke alarm and a phone that had a big built in RED LIGHT on it when it rings  and a pair of TV Headphones to watch TV at a lower volume  he also throwed in sock puller -uppers... .but the biggest thing the counselor did for me was write me a letter about how I was unfeasible  to retain-this veteran at this time due his my S.C. Disability's'' I was at 50% & the letter help me get the TDIU P&T Back then

I guess the VA  Voc Rehab ILP has changed over the years  I do not understand why this Veteran ''VAN'' had all these problems with his counselor?

I had used the GI Bill right after I got out 72 and went to a community collage and pick up a couple of Assoc Degrees....This is what most of us Veterans did Back in those days   we worked 8 hrs and then went home cleaned up and went to school until 10.00 p.m.5 nights a week,  I took a full load of semester hours (12) for two years and went to summer school to finish up  and then got into another Program to earn another Assoc Degree

We were doing pretty well back then I was young/wife was young  we had our first kid and the $$$ I got from the VA (GI BILL) for going to school help tremendously  1ST Check paid for the books and tuition  then the next months check and the checks after that were clear and we paid bills and had a life. 

Until my s.c. disability took over my life and could no longer work and everything went down hill after that   the degrees were useless.  but like every Veteran with a disability  struggle at one time or another waiting in Appeals for his benefits.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Since I could no longer work doing anything   because of my bad hearing  I could not find anything anyone would hire me for  I was computer illiterate and seminary jobs were for and in between  I could not be a wal- mart door greeter  and that's a damn shame..

.wife was a hair dresser but had let her license expire  so all she could do in the beauty shop was do shampoos for the beauticians  at 35 cents / 50 cents a head , she would come home with her fingers bleeding,for a measly 5/6 bucks ,I mowed yards in our neighborhood  the neighbors that felt sorry for me I guess  but it got us Bologna Sandwiches.

I felt useless as a man and almost gave it all up  we lived in a small mobile home that was 8 ft x30 ft it was an older Mobil home(1955)  painted turquoise and a dark blue  it was an ugly old thing no heat/air  we used a kerosene heater in winter and a small 5.000 btu A.C in the window..  we lived in it for 10 years until I got my benefits at 100% P&T for IU..  lucky for us our kids were grown up by this time.and on their own. started their own family's.