VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

turtle5252

Question

I was finally ready to figure Retro benefits.

So I filed my claim once in '83 denied....then on May 2, 2014 and continued with my PTSD request.

Now I go into the ebenefits and it says I am only eligible (I may be incorrect) ..for retro benes back to June of this year (2 months)..Because of an INTENT to FILE. I just dont get it. I followed the rules and inquired & inquired about any missing forms and they told me that I was good.

The effective date NOW is June 16 2015... NOT... May 2, 2014. The difference is huge-never read or heard abt the deadlines for Intent to file...I assume I should have filed an Intent every year????

Help....

Edited by turtle5252

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

That smells a bit odd... It is pretty common for the VA to screw up effective dates. This "Intent to file" sounds a bit odd. I admit that I am not familiar with it, but I don't know which would be considered the effective date: the date you signaled your intent or the date you finally submitted everything.

I would assume that if you kept your 2014 claim alive the old fashioned way, your retro should go back to that date. What I mean by "kept alive" is the initial filing, receiving their denial, filing an NOD, and finally receiving approval.

Here's a link to the "Intent to file" page at the VA:

http://explore.va.gov/intent-to-file

If you need additional time to file a claim for disability compensation, pension, or survivors’ benefits and wish to preserve a date of claim while you gather evidence and complete the application, you should use one of four methods to communicate an intent to file a claim to VA:

1. Appointing a Veterans Service Organization (VSO) or state or county representative to help initiate an intent to file a claim electronically via the Stakeholder Enterprise Portal (SEP). VSOs and representatives can also assist you throughout the claims process. VSOs can access SEP via the button below.

2. Starting the claims process online. This is the fastest and easiest way to express intent to file a claim. Simply begin the online application process, and your intent is documented once you select “save.” Access eBenefits via the button below:

3. Completing and mailing VA Form 21-0966, Intent to File a Claim for Compensation and/or Pension, or Survivors Pension and/or DIC.

4. Over the phone with a VA call center representative or in person with a VA public contact representative.

The info in the box seems to sum it up, but I would be weary of #4 because you don't have a paper trail to prove where they screwed up.

Edited by Vync