VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Col Increase For Those On Disability

Rate this question

boomer2

Question

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The current Consumer Price Index (CPI) has been in a downward trend since the beginning of the year.

http://inflationdata.com/Inflation/Inflation_Rate/CurrentInflation.asp

similar to what we saw in 2009, which lead to a stagnation in COLA for 3 years.

The 2016 VA disability rates will be known by the middle to end of October, 2015 right after the September Consumer Price Index is released.

Read more: http://militarybenefits.info/va-disability-rates/#ixzz3hqby2zzs

The sad part is that the CPI does not equal the true cost of living increase. It was carefully structured so that it's actually representative of about one half of the

true cost of living increase that is experienced by the average family or individual. Then to add further insult, the 100% VA disability payment is significantly less

than the average veteran's "lost income". The difference is in the neighborhood of 10k-15k a year, according to the government's own numbers.

Edited by Chuck75

I always like the term for the CPI as CP LIE.

it is interesting as the CPI doesnt measure, housing, gas, electricity, etc since those "fluctuate" too much. because we all know those are very small parts of our budget....and as far as food they will measure say pork and corn, if pork and corn go up they measure chicken and chickpease, if those go up, then something else. so i put no credence in it. anyone here knows that the price of food has gone up much more than a few % over the past decade. if you look at how much a can of soup goes for it is not that much more, but you will notice that how much soup you got in a "can" is less than 10 years ago and made with cheaper ingredients in many cases. inflation is up.

• HadIt.com Elder

my understanding is that this is the same as the social security cola increase. the va one has to be approved by congress while the ssa is automatic. r so i think i read. this is not any additionaal monies.

You are correct. Congress must pass each year, a bill to give VA compensation COLA's. These COLA's will be the same as those on SS. Don't expect anything this year from either, the CPI is down, or at least flat, unless something extreme happens next month.

Those on Medicare may see a 25-50% increase in premiums in the coming year......this is not set in stone yet, but the writing is on the wall.

• HadIt.com Elder

We'll probably get the same as SS, which may be "zero!" I wouldn't spend it yet. jmo

pr

This is the annual legislation that allows VA to give the smae COLA that Social Security gives..