VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anybody tried this yet?

Rate this question

rpowell01

Question

http://www.neurolumen.com/

Go to website and watch the videos. The lady who created this was originally for her daughter. Its a device that will help with pain such as in the legs and back due to nerve issues. It has some sort of laser with it along with electrodes. Its not a TENS unit. It reads that medicare has not approved this yet but its my understanding the VA has it by reading elsewhere on the internet. The person who wrote a review said that James A. Haley has it so I ask my VA PCP about it to see why I was not offered this yet.

I have not tried acupuncture yet. I have found that if I pay for a good massage, it tends to help for a few days. VA PT clinic will not do any form of massage, no matter how much I have asked. Like rpowell, I too have been failed by the VA pain clinic. Ironically, I don't understand why his PCP will not issue a TENS unit. My PCP issued me one a few years ago and it does provide a moderate level of temporary relief, but the VA is stingy on the electrodes and only issues one set per month. Like ArNG11, I also am skeptical about non FDA-approved devices. I do understand trying to pursue any path which could provide relief, but worry about them just being snake oil.

Vync I recommend trying everything.  Kind of throw everything you have in your arsenal to deal with issues.  As for me I still go by a multi faceted approach.  Do this for a little while, then in combination with this and that, it has yielded the best results than any one pain regiment.  There is one other thing that I must add, your mental being and where you are in life can have a significant amount of impact on how you deal and cope with your issues.  The BS we as Veterans have to go through just to get untimely, mediocre care at best now,  is just morally, law dodging  wrong. 

You know ask for two sets when it comes to the tens units.  One set of pads for large areas and one for specific focal points.  That's how I got mine.  Granted I didn't get the TENS unit from the VA that was private insurance at work, but the VA has supplied me with all the filters, hoses, mask, and humidifier containers when I ask.  A TENS unit, specifically, a combo unit that does TENS and IF works well.  Heck I have even asked for large freezable ice packs and have been given one.  I won't kid you it can sometimes be a fight, but its worth it. Oh and the capsicum pain cream, just make absolutely sure you wash your hands throughly or your gonna regret it big time.  Thats all I'm gonna say on that one.:blink:

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I tried to get my TENS unit from a private doc, but my insurance would not approve it. I was actually quite shocked, pardon the pun, when the VA gave me one. All of your other suggestions are very helpful. I have a heating pad, ice packs, back brace, knee brace, elastic therapy bands, etc... all from the VA.

I tried to get my TENS unit from a private doc, but my insurance would not approve it. I was actually quite shocked, pardon the pun, when the VA gave me one. All of your other suggestions are very helpful. I have a heating pad, ice packs, back brace, knee brace, elastic therapy bands, etc... all from the VA.

Curious Vync, was your outside doc is it a physical therapist.  That is how my outside provider got me a tens unit.  Most people get a script from the primary or pain doc to go to physical therapy, PT therapist confers with the doc and basically state that having your own tens/IF unit would be beneficial to the patient.  I don't know if this will work with your insurance and/or provider but that is how I got mine.  Whatever you do not get those cheap wannabe devices, they are not approved and they can get dangerous. Be sure that its UL and medically approved.  I mean you have one now but if others on here want to try that type of therapy it is worth the trouble and that was the route I took.

The VA is kind enough to supply the electrode pads, those get expensive.  They also provided me with new parts for my CPAP as well.  

Sorry got a little distracted my point is with there are avenues to get new treatment methods and get them through the VA.

No, the outside doc was a chiropractor. Sent me home with a TENS unit. Two weeks later, I get a letter in the mail telling me the insurance won't pay for it. I ended up having to give the device back to the chiropractor and eventually got one from the VA PCP.

Well at least you have one.  That's the important thing.  Have you gotten new electrodes from them?  They replaced all mine and are doing it on a regular basis now.

Not with the outside doc. The VA gives me one set of TENS electrodes per month. They have become really stingy about them. I used to get two sets a month, but they cut back. Now they advise to wash them and store them in the freezer. I let them know that is was unsanitary, but they don't care. Hard to use electrodes that don't adhere. The VA also made it even more difficult to get them. A new policy at my VAMC requires a doctor's consultation every time I need to get a replacement set of anything. Supposedly due to accountability...