VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD C&P what is it like?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

What is a C&P  Exam of PTSD like?  I mean what type of questions does the Doc ask?...Do they pay attention has how your dressed &  your body language ect,,ect,,

or do you just set there and answer the questions?  what happens if you get pissed during the exam?

My patients are very then these days.

Any opinion and suggestions welcome

Thank you in Advance

...................Buck

He spent the first 5-10 minutes giving me a spiel about how the exam would go.

He informed me that a C&P exam is "forensic" and that if he found any inconsistencies, I would have to undergo an "intense 3-7 hour psychological examination" which would only prolong my claim. He also said if I said anything to make him believe that I was a danger to myself or others, that he would report me.

I know that most of this stuff is untrue, but they try to set the tone of the interview to get you to clam up and not tell them your symptoms.

I just found out that I was lowballed and shafted by the rater anyway. It seems like there are so many people in the process that can screw you over that you need to get really lucky to get a high rating.

go and get a good imo/ime (pm me for a good one)

write up a good sworn declaration relating the hostile nature of the exam.

This is what i had to do with mine, was not so much the examiner, but the location for me.  I had to be badged into the mental ward wing, locked doors, then into a dark hallway to a dark room.  i was freaked out.

Write about

• the tone of the interview/exam was hostile from the start
  • You felt that were judged before even opening you mouth that you were lying
  • how you felt that you were being threatened with confinement if you were honest
  • that you felt you were 'on trial' just for wanting to  apply for benefits that are available through the VA.
  • part of the nature of PTSD is lack of trust in others and shutting down when around hostility and that being threatened with a lengthy stay and invasive and intense examination if the examiner felt he needed to only led to a lack of open and free communication
  • That you were afraid to say almost anything because if it was taken as being "hostile" you were threatened with being reported and the insinuation is then being committed or arrested.
  • Based on this unprofessional, uncaring and hostile interview you are requesting a new C&P exam via a new examiner and prefferrably one outside the VA system as you no longer trust any of them to give you a fair exam or hearing.

If you get a good IME and a DBQ from a well regarded psychologist as well as good medical evidence of ongoing treatment and/or medication as well as a request for a hearing AND a new C&P because of this i think they will balk.  they did with me.

Edited by USMC_VET

also i forgot to mention that you should be very careful when they ask about your childhood, parents, etc.

If they can somehow twist a statement like "yeah i guess my dad drank a bit, but no more than anyone else" into "Veteran reports childhood trauma due to at least one parents alcoholism during early stages of development..." they will try and say you had a mental condition prior to service.

I would also perhaps recommend recording the C&P exam, look at your state and see if is a "one party state" or not.  out of courtesy even if it is i would notify them and have them consent to recording on tape.  I will be doing this at my exams from here on out since i am in a one party state and my last C&P ewas....iffy... regarding what i said vs what was recorded on the exam.

They will try to say that you have a personality disorder which are almost exclusively formed in childhood and thus not compensable usually unless it is secondary to a SC condition.

Exactly.  Now if that is the problem, thats how the cookie crumbles, but i have heard some ridiculous SH*T regarding vets who were in the SH*T pretty heavy, in the battle of fallujah (second) and because their dad had left when he was a kid they said he didnt have PTSD.  was pretty sketchy.

Exactly.  Now if that is the problem, thats how the cookie crumbles, but i have heard some ridiculous SH*T regarding vets who were in the SH*T pretty heavy, in the battle of fallujah (second) and because their dad had left when he was a kid they said he didnt have PTSD.  was pretty sketchy.

They can and I have heard of them stating the PD is the primary DX and because many symptoms overlap its difficult to distinguish(well according to them).  Reason being since it was pre-existing and due to the subjective nature of psychology as well as their attempts to not have to compensate veterans that at least WAS back around the time I got out (07) common.

Anything they can do to say that you were more likely to develop ptsd due to some other condition is grounds to deny it because it would be secondary to the PD.  Same reason why a good dr will tell a veteran that if they already have a MH diagnosis but they also have say bipolar I or II to file it as secondary to the ptsd. 

• HadIt.com Elder

I Can't afford to get an IME/IMO?

Basically all I have is my VA Notes...hopefully the VA Physiatrist  will help me   if I ask her to write me a letter pertaining to help get my S.C.  for PTSD.

then that will help my claim (hopefully)

But I don't know if she will?

, as for as childhood  I had a pretty good childhood and was normal when I interred the Army

Just grew up pretty poor and never had the things  the other kids had, but we lived way out in the country  so it never really bothered me.

.......Buck

Edited by Buck52