VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans
  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Whats Up With This Strange Iris Reply?

KennyJ

Question

In the last month I have gotten very odd responses from IRIS site: Such as this Inquiry and response

Veteran/Inquirer 10/31/2006 07:47 AM

First let me start by saying that I posted a question on this site about 2 weeks ago and received a rather odd response. I asked about the status of my existing claims from March 2005. The response was that this site does not give out information about claims. I was surprised because I have checked on the status of my claims about 6 times this year and everytime I received somewhat of a status report. I don't want to be a bothersome but I would like to see if I can find out the status of these claims again if I could.

RESPONSE:

Response (Department of Veterans Affairs) 11/09/2006 01:25 PM

November 9, 2006

Mr. XXXXX:

Our website at is used for general information on VA benefits. For your protection under the Privacy Act, we are unable to answer confidential, claim-specific questions.

The last letter we sent was June 16, 2006. We attempted to call the number you provided, but reached voice mail. We cannot leave confidential information on voice mail. You may call our toll free number, 1-800-827-1000, and a representative will be happy to answer your questions.

They always used to tel me if the claim was at rating board or where ever?

Edited by KennyJ (see edit history)

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

13 answers to this question

Guest jangrin

Kennyj,

I don't know, maybe they are implementing some changes. The last IRIS we sent was around to weeks ago asking the status of the claim, and they did not respond by e-mail. They called my husband and told him if he had a question he needed to call the 800#.

Something is going on.

The VA has been updating their web site but still- this is most unusual-

I could see this type of reply if the vet used the regular "contact us button" but the Iris inquery is supposed to go directly to the RO that has the claim.

I get pop ups when I use the BVA site -it is a survey on what else they can do to improve the VA site- next time I get the pop up- I will ask them about this----

If you can't often get a square answer at the 800#, the query email idea usually gives you better info-I am surprised that this has changed.

Called 800# and he said that this was a fairly new change made by the VA.. But did get good news because he said my claim was at the rating board waiting to be rated since they had received my C&P exam results.

Guest jangrin

Well,

We called 800# 2 months ago and again last month about claim. At that time we were told that the RO office in Oakland said they had recieved my husbands C&P for the DMII and secondarys and that they had everything they needed to rate and that they sent the claim to the rating board.

At that time they also said that they had received the request to have the file transfered to WACO as we live in Texas now, but they were not going to transfer the file until it was rated becasue it was almost through the process and that once it was rated they would forward the file. THAT WAS 2 MONTHS AGO. They are really good at telling you lots and lots of BS.

Called the 800# yesterday, Monday. At first they said that they HAD NO RECORD OF MY HUSBAND FILING A CLAIM. Then they said they had no record of his claim being at the rating board. Then they said that the file was sent to WACO and was never at the rating board in OAKLAND. And finally they said they found the file in WACO buried under some papers on a desk upsatirs.

They stated that it was not assigned to anyone one and that if we wanted someone to do something with the file we would have to write a letter asking them to work on the file and ask that they send it to the rating board and then in about a months time someone would have gone through the file and they could tell us where we are in the claims process.

THE VETERANS COMPENSATION AND CLAIMS PROCESS IS A SHAM. THEY ARE BASICLY WAITING FOR THE VETERANS TO GIVE UP OR DIE. I WILL NEVER QUIT IN THIS CLAIM...NOW I'M PIS@ED.

We went to see the VSO here where we live. He was actually very nice. We told him what hapened and that we had followed his advise and that the claim sat for two months since we ask for it to be transfered and how we had been lied to.

He got on the telephone and called the WACO office and while we were there talked to another service officer there. The SO in WACO found the file and came on the telephone. As they were talking he agreed that it looked like the file was ready for a rating and it looked like everything was there. So he is going to get it to someone and get the process started or at least get the file evaluated and then either more C&Ps or rating. Hopefully someone will at least evaluate the claim.

We talked about how long everything was taking and the SO was very nice but felt that things are going to get very much worse over the next year or two because of the claims being filed by the vets returning from IRAQ and Afganistan. I already have my suspicions that the veterans that have served more recently are getting preferential treatment as far as claims processing. We have had a couple of vets here at Hadit that have had their claims processed in 3 to 4 months, and another in 6 months start to finish. I believe that something is happening or changing that we aren't aware of.YOU CAN NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING THE RO SAYS. When we do the appeal it will be to the BVA, I don't think I will let the claim stay at the RO any longer than absolutely necessary.

JMO

Jangrin

Jangrin

Edited by jangrin (see edit history)

• HadIt.com Elder
I believe that something is happening or changing that we aren't aware of.YOU CAN NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING THE RO SAYS. When we do the appeal it will be to the BVA, I don't think I will let the claim stay at the RO any longer than absolutely necessary.

Jangrin,

As you know, I have put up with so much BS from the Va and the R. O until I could vomit. Now that I am at the BVA and the AMC, at least someone is reading my claim and appears to be taking my claim seriously.

I spent 4 years listening to one lie after another from the R. O.

I can remember writing a letter for the Huntington R. O as to why I felt my claim in appeals should be worked before the poor soldiers in Iraq.

I wasn't asking to be placed ahead of them. I only wished some consideration if we were all in appeals.

Good luck and God Bless,

Josephine

Edited by Josephine (see edit history)

• HadIt.com Elder

Jangrin

I think the VA does the easy claims first where their is no doubt about the outcome, like actual in-service wounds and simple presumptive AO claims. My AO claim went really fast compared to the psychological claims. That is because you either were a RVN vet or not and you either have a presumptive condition or you don't. The only thing to rate is the severity of the disability.

Guest jangrin

John,

I think you are correct. We should have filed the AO DMII ONLY first, then once the SC was made for the vietnam vet presumption. Then we could have added the secondary claims to the DMII. We listed everything at the advice of the SO. I think that was wrong.

So here we are almost a year later stuck in the rut. One thing though, my husband had no medical records to provide to the VA from the time he left the army in 1969 until he had a problem in 2003. The only medical records he had and the only diagnosis and treatment was with the VA from 2003 to current.

So the VA diagnosed everything, treated everything, and has done the C&P's for evrything. The only outside medical is an IME from Dr. Bash and a few xrays and a CT Cardio Scan the VA doctor ordered at our request. There are no reports or treatment that contradicts what the VA has treated my husband for.

So that being the case, it should be fairly easy to rate, they just have to figure out what percentage to rate him based on his symptoms. If they deny then they are saying thier own doctors do not know how to treat their patients.

Interesting dilema.

Jangrin

Hello Everyone:

I to am so fed up with the VA RO bull s_ _ _. My claim has been passed around to two different RO and now this week they told me (Montgomery, Al RO) that my claim was at the Rating Team where it would be rated. Well, low and behold, I call back today (twice as a matter of fact to make sure) they told me my claim was sent to the Hunnington, WV RO for a rating decision because Montgomery, AL RO was to busy. I got so upset that I had to take two anxiety pills to get my heart and blood pressure to slow down. If it was ready to rate why the HELL didn't they just go ahead and rate it? After Montgomery had it for 7 Months, this really pisses me off because first Atlanta, RO had it for 7 Months then sent it to Montgomery. I do all of this leg work, another C&P, my own private doctors, etc and now they tell me It's gone to a 3rd RO.

I called the Senate Committee on Veterans Affairs contact that I had spoken to before and he said this is ridiculous and he was going to see what he could do or find out because I have been getting the run around for over a year...We all need to take a trip to Washington, D.C. to let them know we are fed up with this kind of s_ _ t!

I wouldn't advise my DOG! to join the military because this is crazy what we go through.

Michelle

Guest jangrin

michelle,

I agree we all need to group together to get the point across that the veterans and their families are a very large group and they better start doing right by us. But we have to march on washington or something, you know like the million man march.

The problems is we need to organize it when it will have an impact on the people in washington. Right now things have been shaken up a bit and that is good. But we need to wait until the newly elected are up and running then get in thier face. We will never get anywhere dealing with the people that are soon to leave office because they do not care right now.

Also, the people at the RO have absolute job security. They couldn't get fired if they tried. It would take an act of congress to iliminate some of these people who can't figure out how to actually work for a living. OOOps I don't want to get started. I truly believe evrything for now on gets put in writing and CC copies to all involved. Every two weeks, to track what is happening with the file.

A paper trail = evidence

I am going to come up with a standardized letter, I post it on Hadit. See if we get any results from it.

Never hurts to try.

Jangrin

• HadIt.com Elder

Jangrin

I filed for AO DMII and PN as secondary. I got both C&P exams on the same day. I don't know what the best course of action with claims and secondary claims might be after all this time. If you get SC'ed for DMII then you would have to wait another year to get a c&p for the secondary condition. You know on my PN claim the VA granted the lower extremity PN and denied the upper with the same evidence. The decision was illogical and dumb. This is how they wear you down and it just shows a bias to deny claims on flimsy evidence. I won at the DRO Hearing but it was just horse trading.

• HadIt.com Elder
they told me my claim was sent to the Hunnington, WV RO for a rating decision because Montgomery, AL RO was to busy.

Michelle,

I can't be for certain, but this the same BS that the Roanoke R.O pulled on me. They sent me to Huntington, W. Va. and I can tell you, I never could keep up with my claim the whole time it was there.

I called the Roanoke Office and they told me that they did not have anything to do with a claim in another state. Occasionally one of the nicer counselors would check through for me and locate information for me on the computer.

I could be wrong, but to my knowledge, Huntington does not even have counslors. If they do, I spent one year trying to locate one. I never located one.

This is another problem that I ran into with Huntington, they are of the opinion, even if you are sent there for rating, they will give you another C&P. They do prefer a board, especially for women vets.

I will say this time and time again. I do not trust the Huntington R. O and the DRO's not worth S___!

To my knowledge they still have just two. They have a lot of helpers doing absolutely nothing. I think perhaps sometimes, they used the cleaning crew to rate my claim.

If for any reason, Huntington R. O sents you for a Board of Two, do not go alone! Believe me - If the examiners refuse to allow someone to be present with you, do as the General Council told me, leave, kick and be removed by the security guards, but never enter a room with two doctors.

I learned this the hard way.

If you are in appeals, please do let me know, for I have been through the ropes with each and every one of them there.

I think that the same bunch work both appeals and regular claims.

I really can help you, as I have been there in that R.O and liked to never received my denial from them to go on to the BVA.

The stangest thing was, I was set up for a hearing by the DRO and just by chance called the Roanoke Office and one of the counselors checked me on the computer and told me that I was going to the BVA.

I cancelled that hearing, as the decision had already been made.

Michelle are you in appeals?

I have all telephone numbers that the different hospitals in the area gave me.

Do let me know if I can help you.

They are the worst record of all the Regional Offices.

You can check this out on the internet.

Always,

josephine

Edited by Josephine (see edit history)

Thanks you all for the support and Josephine; my claim is not in appeals yet. I'm live on the border of Georgia and Phenix City, Al actually my house is in Alabama write by Ft. Benning, Ga. I'm going to see a VSO this morning in my area plus like I said I called Washington D.C. yesterday to the Senate of Veterans Affairs Committee. The Montgomery RO said they were to busy and that's why they sent my claim their. I know they are sick of me because each time they tell me something stupid, I quote the regulation to them. I told them I'm not going away so they can prolong this until the cows come home. If they are trying to wait me out until I die, I've already told my family to pick up where I leave off.

I'm going to see what today brings and anything I find out I will let you all know.

Michelle

• HadIt.com Elder

Michelle,

Sounds like you have all of your ducks in a row. If you need any assistance with Huntington, please do let me know.

I have telephone numbers for all employess.

I have been told by many organizations that Huntington always wants their own C&P. Just watch out for that.

I went in to be rating with a More Likely than Not and have been fighting ever since.

I am like you, I am not giving up either.

My biggest problem is that I did find out for sure and my claim is definitely opened to 1978 with New and Material Evidence.

Keep us informed.

Always,

Josephine