VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mefloquine (Lariam®)

Rate this topic

had this drug given to me during my deployments made me sick told to keep taking it I did stupid me . just seen the VA doctor in Boston  told me my illness was caused by this drug I've been telling them this for years just had to post this

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what illness are we talking about?  I remember crazy dream wednesdays! made people bonkers over there, we had to take away the rifle from a guy because he had a vivid dream about snowball fights with zombies and was clutching his rifle when he woke up all out of it.

FDA's 2013 updated warning lable for Lariam...........

Additional Information for Patients

• Mefloquine may cause dizziness, balance problems, and ringing in the ears.  These symptoms can occur at any time during use and can last for months to years after the drug is stopped or can be permanent.
  • Contact your health care professional right away if you take mefloquine and experience any of the following signs and symptoms; it may be necessary to stop mefloquine and take another medication to prevent malaria, but do not do so without first talking with your health care professional:
    • Dizziness
    • Balance problems such as a feeling that you or things around you are moving or spinning (vertigo)
    • Ringing in your ears (tinnitus)
    • Convulsions or seizures
    • Inability to sleep (insomnia)
  • If you already have or develop any mental problems, you should contact your health care professional right away. These mental problems include:
    • Anxiety
    • Feelings of mistrust towards others (paranoia)
    • Seeing or hearing things that are not there (hallucinations)
    • Depression
    • Restlessness
    • Confusion
    • Behavior that is unusual
  • Carefully read the Medication Guide and the wallet card that come with your mefloquine prescription.
  • Discuss any questions or concerns about mefloquine with your health care professional.
  • Report any side effects you experience to your health care professional and the FDA MedWatch program, using the information in the Contact FDA box at the bottom of the page.

If you fall into one of the MOS\'s that are in this fast letter you are considered presumptive for hearing loss.  for actual rating of hearing loss your audiology has to prove hearing loss.  for tinnitus you just hav eto state you have it.

I would file for it based on this now, yes its not related to the lariam, but at least you dont have to fight for a larian secondary tinnitus, you will get it through that.

i dont know of anyone being rate dbased on lariam, maybe you will be the first?

• 1 month later...

Me and my platoon tested doses of this in 2003 as the war in iraq was breaking out we were sold that there was a bioterror threat being malaria and they were looking for volunteers to test it, ran multiple psochological psyop experiments on us to see how we performed under stress went through interrogation training and the had us fill out abhuge packet of moral shoot no shoot report dont report what would you do in this situation questions, this stuff messes people up its the agent orange of oie oef