VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Short changed for retrograde disabilty compensation

Rate this question

Combat Corpsman 75

Question

I just wanted to see if anybody out there has been short changed by the VA IRT retrograde payments. I am 100% service connected.   I filed 01 March 2015 and received my first VA disability check on 01 July2015.  I received a "retrograde payment" on 11 June 2015 in the amount of $2,296, and just received $4,240 on 25 August 2015.  I then received a letter form the VA stating that my only compensatable months were April and May.  does this sound right to anybody?  I feel like I'm being shorted 2 months of retro payments.  Any help would be great.

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Combat Corpsman,

I'm not an expert by any means, but here's my understanding of the whole mess. The VA pays on the first of the month for the month just ended. If you did file on March 1st, then your retro should cover 3 months worth. Judging by your figures, it looks like you received 1 month retro in June, and 2 more in August. What was the amount of your July check? What about August 1st and Sept. 1st?  Best way to figure out is multiply your monthly amount times the # of months (4) you should be awarded retro for.  The VA is very concerned with only the VA. Also, call your local VAMC and speak with the benefits counselor.  Sometimes they can be very helpful.

Semper Fi.

Andy