VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD by Veterans Evaluation Services?

Rate this question

freedomisntfree

Question

Received a call today from VES Veterans Service Services. They told me they were assigned my case and would be setting me up with a C&P! I asked what was the C&P for? In response they said it was for PTSD.

At first I started having panic and high anxiety. So I called my service rep and asked just what is going on. I felt I was being blind sided because I am scheduled for the RRTP inpatient treatment for PTSD next month for 9 weeks. My service rep told me it was because I filed a NOD in 2011 on my original rating of PTSD. He said the new C&P would be used to evaluated my PTSD and if I was not satisfied then afterwards I could file a SOC.

Has this ever happened to anyone and is this how it is usually done?

If it is since this is not the VA but an outside agency do they do a fair assessment?

I have already been low balled by the VA with the first rating of 50% when all the evidence pointed to 70% or even 100%. Records clearly show serious impairments with work, social and hospitalization twice due to suicide attempts.

I don't really know what to expect from this outside agency so I requested my wife be present to help me follow through with it and help if my anxiety level spikes.

All I can do is be honest with the doctor and hope for the best!

Any other suggestions?

• HadIt.com Elder

That don't make any sense  because the VA is dead set on them making the veteran get a PTSD Diagnosed by the VA and not an outsider!

unless this is the VA 's way to railroad/'lowball us?? come decision time

jmo

..............Buck

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, this is normal procedure for the VA. The new C&P is being sought by the VA so they can get a more recent picture of your disability. If you filed your NOD in 2011, then your last C&P was probably in 2010. I'm having trouble understanding why the VA is just getting around to your NOD if you filed it in 2011. Did you request DRO review or are you going directly to the BVA?

That don't make any sense  because the VA is dead set on them making the veteran get a PTSD Diagnosed by the VA and not an outsider!

unless this is the VA 's way to railroad/'lowball us?? come decision time

jmo

..............Buck

The VA requires a diagnosis of PTSD from a VA doctor Buck, but they still use contracted C&P exams for rating purposes.

Edited by bluevet

Buck,

I already have a diagnosis of PTSD and service connected at 50% and overall 90%.

bluevet,

I don't know why it took so long. I file the NOD and it was to be reviewed by a DRO. My service adviser said since there was three contentions I disagreed with filed the NOD then that could have been the reason it took so long. As for me I don't buy that bull. If that was the case I would have C&P's for them as well.

Yes my original C&P was in 201 and late 2011 I received my ratings and filed the NOD. I hope this doesn't draw out to the point I have to do a SOC and go to BVA. What is so simple has became so drawn out. My wife stated the first review officer probably didn't believe my PTSD was so bad and in his opinion I should only bee 50% but my wife also calmed me with positive reinforcement and reminds me that there is a substantial amount of treatment and records now to warrant a higher rating.  

Who knows! I just have to be calm and wait for the next 12 days to pass.

bluevet, you said it is normal procedures the VA does this. In you opinion do these out source rating officials have as much experience with combat related PTSD and how can they relate to me and my experiences with the loss my men. Just not sure what to expect.

• HadIt.com Elder

If I was you I'd make copies of all STR's and copies of all medical evidence and take to your outside C&P.

be sure to point them out to the examiner if he/she don't ask...sometimes or most of the time they have there head stuck in the computer and don't get around to your evidence  so make sure they do!

Also point out that your disability should be rated with the highest degree by law  that your eligible for.

high-lite all important information/evidence with a bright neon color marker.

It maybe normal for the VA to get outside contractors  but usually they opt for the VA Doc's to preform the C&P's

jmo

.....................Buck

Edited by Buck52