VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

combat records burned (Korea)

Rate this question

Helping Bobby

Question

I recently met a Korean vet who is 83 years old and is in a wheelchair. He was in the military from April 9, 1952 to Sept. 18, 1954. His disability is not from combat although he did have hearing problems from his experience with heavy artillery. He is able to use the VA hospital because he has his honorable discharge papers.

This vet has asked for a pension because he spent time in Korea in 540 Company, 8th Battalion . His combat records were destroyed in the 1973 fire in Chicago. He has been told he can't have his pension because he can't prove he was sent to Korea.  At his age it will be difficult for him to fight the VA for his pension so I'm trying to help him. Can anyone help me help him?

helping bobby

Here is a web site to the milpers in St. Louis.   http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/standard-form-180.html  Recommend you contact them with a request for a copy of military records. I think the only records destroyed in the fire were from WW1 and WWII. Anyway the best way to find out is request all of his records from them.

If they've approved his health care, then they should approve his pension.  If I recall correctly, the requirements for pension are that he be 65yrs, or more, and served during a period of war.  jmo

pr

On the SF 180,if you try via NARA (www,archives.gov,)ask for a copy of his Personnel records too.

I interviewed these guys on our radio show years ago---this site has a wealth of info on Korea that might help him.

Does it say artillery MOS on his DD 214?

Is he filing a claim for hearing loss?

http://www.koreanwar.org/

I think he doesn't have any of that stuff. Actually from what I've read, I don't know why they are saying he shouldn't get the pension since the only prerequisite is that he served in a time of war. Is there a pension you only get if you actually served in combat out of country?

helping bobby

Here is a web site to the milpers in St. Louis.   http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/standard-form-180.html  Recommend you contact them with a request for a copy of military records. I think the only records destroyed in the fire were from WW1 and WWII. Anyway the best way to find out is request all of his records from them.

No, the records destroyed were from WWII and the Korean War.