VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

combat records burned (Korea)

Rate this question

Helping Bobby

Question

I recently met a Korean vet who is 83 years old and is in a wheelchair. He was in the military from April 9, 1952 to Sept. 18, 1954. His disability is not from combat although he did have hearing problems from his experience with heavy artillery. He is able to use the VA hospital because he has his honorable discharge papers.

This vet has asked for a pension because he spent time in Korea in 540 Company, 8th Battalion . His combat records were destroyed in the 1973 fire in Chicago. He has been told he can't have his pension because he can't prove he was sent to Korea.  At his age it will be difficult for him to fight the VA for his pension so I'm trying to help him. Can anyone help me help him?

Many VAMCs have access to vet reps. The local VAMC here  had one who would come certains days of the week to help vets with claims (maybe he was from the AL or the DAV)

However our VAMC here in NY also has a state rep with offices on the VA grounds, who goes into the Nursing home and DOM as needed to help vets with claims and also this VAMC is  within about one 1/2  mile from the county vet rep's office. Some Vet reps can even still make housecalls.

The C file is the Claims file. We all have a C file,if we ever made a VA claim for benefits.