VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

5 buddy statements isnt enough?

Rate this question

Tommywvivid

Question

Ok Apparently there are many documents missing from my SMRs. a police report, an emergency room log and exit exam, because if it wasn't tampered with, I would have shown that this injury was suffered from an attack in the army, 1994, But its missing so I was asked among many other things to get buddy statements. I have 5, unfortunately, no one especially me can remember when this happened, because there is no  "evidence" which is BS i didnt have he scars on my head when i went it but i did when i ets'd...,can some one help me?

Where were you treated, military hospital or civilian?

either way find out how to get access to the records for the that hospital, im guess you were inpatient so they should have records of you coming in and checking out.  I would contact that hospital and start the records release process.  If its military and they give you the..."well sir they should be in your SMR....." dont buy it, i dont think you would.  Tell them straight off the bat, i have my SMR, i have my SR all the records for this are gone.  not misplaced since i got the records, they are non existent in the official record.  I know i was there, i need any information you have regarding myself as a patient in 1994.  FOIA their ass if they are being pains.

Have you contacted the records for your old unit? they should list who is present and accounted for.  I will defer to others, the name escapes me at the moment, but should be the daily report, morning report, something like that.

Send a SF 180 to the national archives.  read more on their page here about those records.

In the request i would request a 2 week or month date range or however big the time gap is that you know it took place in.  request information on the morning report regarding " I was a vicitm of an assault and was sent to the hospital, any reports reflecting either the assault or my hospitalization"

that should help you unless the originals were destroyed before they were sent ot the archives.

You

Edited by USMC_VET
unneccessary question for the context of the answer

Thank-you, I am scheduled for a hearing with the judge in washington DC next month, have you or anyone you know that has been through this? what can I expect? as for the above response, Did the VA form -180 4x all same response no records found not the CQ log book no emergency room and no exit exam in my files, could even be because No one I know can remember the exact day this even occurred, I've had so much help and i am very grateful that the other vets put their own time in to responding so thank-you! My power of attorney American Legion hasn't done any thing for me and i mean anything, so I'm doing this judge hearing alone, and is it true that if they cant locate any of these records that they should go by my testimony or my 5 buddy statements to decide my case.....

Ok, 

Where were you when this happened.  USA or out of country?  If USA, which State?

Call all the hospitals when you narrow it down to a State or City, etc.  Give them your name, sex and birthdate and ask if they have any records on you.  Doesnt matter when.  They keep records for a long time.

Did it happen on base, fort or port?  Most ER's are linked to a local civilian hospital and would have your records. 

Somethings missing.

OK, I just reread your first post.  Police Record.  Go to the PD and get a copy of your incident.  They keep them for a long time.  Expecially an assault.

Most MP's on posts are traffic cops and get assistance from the local Sheriffs Department for serious business like assaults.  And they keep records for a long time.

CQ log book.  I highly doubt they keep them and the Army isnt going to take time looking for that.  You got the brush-off.

Hope this helps,

Hamslice

This happened on Ft. Bragg, NC, And I Did call them, no records found, I know for a fact I was at Womack Army Hospital. And , again, no records found there was at least 1 very important document missing from my military records, My exit exam which I distinctly remember to make a note of there's scars and its gone.  Yes the police keep records for 40 years but Mine does not exist.

I'm just preparing for the video conference from my VA to D.C. I've had everyone involved , including everyone from my VASH case Manager all the way up to the under Secretary, Allison Hickey. if the judge favors my case when would I get compensated from, taking into consideration that this other veterans records were in my file, and mailed to me?

There are 2 distict possibilities here:

1.  Va does not have your evidence.  You need to request your cfile, and determine what evidence, if anything, is not there, and do your best to get it in your cfile.    Contact the medical center where treated, if necessary, and request your records of an in service injury.

2.  VA has your evidence but did not read it.  This happens frequently, where VA "top sheets" the claim and does not read your evidence.  To overcome this, you will likely need to file a nod, cite the evidence and appeal.

In either case you need to appeal.