VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Is The 1-800 #

Rate this question

jessie0054

Question

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

After you dial the 800# and the robot answers- click on 1 for touch tone, then click on 0 and hang on for a vet rep-

If your claim is in appeals process - tell them that-

if they dont seem to give you enough info ask them to check the COVERS screen.

If I get a rep at 800 who doesn't know me and if I forget to tell them the last status I got, they only read off the BVA transfer in July-

then I have to tell them to go to the COVERS screen-because it was remanded in Sept. The COVERS screen gives the physical presence of the claim and is updated continually if the claim moves around a lot.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

Word of warning and that is the info you get from an 800 number is often times wrong and should be double or tripple checked.

That is good advise Pete-

I have a rule -after decades of dialing 1-800-827-1000-if you don't like what they say- call back in a few hours for a second opinion.

We have some newbys up at my RO-Buffalo-

But as long as they look at the right screen, they are doing pretty good.

I called for a status last month and a newby asked me what they said last time I called. I said well that was 2 weeks ago -why do you ask- and then he said -do you really expect the status to change?

I reminded him that every claimant has the right to call whenever they want to check the status of their claim and to please check the COVERS screen.

My claim status had changed (regional counsel had sent back to the rater whatever it was they needed to check in the med recs or something)

I have VARO 800# logs as wel as Counsel and doctor phone calls etc.,dating back to calls from at least 1991.

In my CUE I mentioned the "missing" documents from VA Bath to Regional Counsel in 1995 that could have resolved my DIC/FTCA claims in 3 months. Counsel was ready to settle,per his phone call to me.

These documents suddenly disappeared when the VA doc and counsel retired soon after this report was prepared. I had to fight them for 3 more years on these claims.

This "missing" document most critical to the claim in 1995 was-of course- right in my c file.

At first I didnt remember what it was but then the phone call log reminded me-the MF (Mysterious force)

had removed it and then put it back.

I had VA counsel's word (I called him at his home after he retired) and the VA doctor (Chief of Staff -in the local department store-came right over to me- many months later asking if they had awarded my claim yet and also said he sent this report via VA computer right to regional counsel,because the charges of malpractice were evident.) Funny how the good stuff always disappears-

and none of this activity on this report ever showed up at the 800#.

It was just one more piece of evidence to prove that they should have considered the veteran for SMC and didn't.

I said if they "lost" or misplaced this report again- they could subpeona counsel and the Doctor. Or I could send them a copy of it-right from the c file.

PTSD 100%SC plus Section 1151 disabilties at well over 100% (CVA-CAD-DMII) equals SMC.

The veteran's PTSD award was accrued and his Sec 1151 which I re-opened was also an accrued claim that should have considered and awarded retro SMC too-per established VA case laws,regs, and OGC Pres Op.

All in all I feel the 800 people at the Buffalo VARO are doing a pretty good job of trying to give updated info on claims.

What gets me is that a status could significantly change but this info doesn't get to the PC for days.

It pays to write down who you talk to and what they say.

Edited by Berta