VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Property tax exemption for survivor?

3grandkids

Question

I am wondering if being granted DIC includes the property tax exemption benefit for the widow or widower?

My spouse died at 90% service connected disabled and I am still in the appeal process for DIC and service connected death.  I am substituting for undecided open claims at the time of death, also.

I read that only 12 states so far offer 100 percent exemption for 100 percent disabled Vets but since my spouse did not live long enough to receive this benefit, if DIC is finally granted to me, will I be able to get that exemption? Thank you for any info on this.

Edited by 3grandkids
correction

OK, thanks everyone.  I'm not sure I want to stay in this state if I win, but can see now I will have to contact each state separately to find out their individual rules pertaining to the exemption. Seems the no remarrying one applies across the board even in states that grant the benefit.  But does not apply to chpt 35, va home loans, or champ insurance.  Just trying to navigate through this maze.

Interesting about Georgia, since that state was not one of the 12 I saw listed.  Saw AL, AR, CA, FL, HI, MI, NH, NJ, NM, OK, TX, and VA as 100% tax exemption states.

Thanks again.

• HadIt.com Elder

Your sure welcome to move to Texas ...Here in Dallas the tax exemption includes all property tax for one  homestead property for which you live and includes the school tax hospital tax, but it may differ in the county you live in..my county is Dallas County.

it sure help our house payments go down!  its a big big Help to disabled veterans & their spouses.

what ever you decide to do  do what is best for you and your family

..................Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

OK, thanks everyone.  I'm not sure I want to stay in this state if I win, but can see now I will have to contact each state separately to find out their individual rules pertaining to the exemption. Seems the no remarrying one applies across the board even in states that grant the benefit.  But does not apply to chpt 35, va home loans, or champ insurance.  Just trying to navigate through this maze.

Interesting about Georgia, since that state was not one of the 12 I saw listed.  Saw AL, AR, CA, FL, HI, MI, NH, NJ, NM, OK, TX, and VA as 100% tax exemption states.

Thanks again.

Georgia is perhaps a bit odd. They compute the tax based upon a percentage of value. It looks like the tax assessor uses that percentage to determine if any real estate tax is owed by a 100% P&T disabled veteran.

The exemption at the county level includes school related tax in my county. I cannot speak of other counties.  My particular county would not recognize the VA paperwork, and insisted that I take it to the local state DVA representative, have him generate a letter, and take that to the tax assessor. Another oddity  is the free disabled veteran's vehicle tag.

The county issues two plates. Georgia only requires one. Further, when a plate is issued, Georgia law states that a sticker must be attached to the tag. The county only issues one sticker for the two plates. Beyond that, the state law says that you can have anything (that is not offensive) as a front plate. ?????  Normal disabled plates for  the hoi polloi are only only one per vehicle. (And they charge for them.)

Edited by Chuck75

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe you can call the 1-800  number and ask them to send you a property tax exemption qualifying  letter.

The VA sent me one  and said take it to your local county tax office ask for the exemption , & keep this letter in a safe place.

Basically the only thing  I did was homestead my property and they require that you lived on the  property for at least a year.

I took the letter to the county tax assessor office and they made copies and sent me the exemption form , I made copies of that and sent to my Mortgage lender.

if you own your property out right  then you just keep the exemption letter/and let your county tax office have a copy.

some state's and even different county's do things differently , before we moved here in Dallas County we were in a different county and they gave a % off your property taxes up to the first 12.000 or so and we had to pay the difference.

...................Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

In Florida what I know is that the survivor must be on the property deed in order to keep the total tax exemption that the veteran had when he died.  The exemption can be transferred to another property when you sell the one and buy another.  In my state you must either be on SSDI disability or VA P&T to get the exemption which can be considerable.  I married pretty late in life so after ten years of marriage I put my wife's name on the house that I had bought before we were married.  That was the only way to make sure she would get the total exemption.  We do not have any kids together, but I still want her to get all benefits possible out of my dead and somewhat broken down body when it comes to it.  I could almost teach a class on financial planning but that sort of goes out the window when you have been married for 15-20 years.