VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Custody battle

jbowen0205

To keep it short I'm 100% disabled veteran I have never been in any legal trouble, me and my girlfriend had a child together and through a custody battle the judge has said because I have PTSD which is controlled just fine even with the letters from the VA to the judge he deems me on fit to have any kind of custody with my child or any interaction with them I've not seen my son in almost 2 years because of this sidebar on this I have had full custody of three other children and raise them on my own and they're fine adults and children now my middle child Jefferson drowned in the lake while swimming four years ago and the judges also same because of this I have mental issues help what can I do there's nothing in my medical record VA medical record stating that I am unfit why am i harm to myself or others they made me give up my medical record the judge and they found nothing but he still said that I am unfit to stab or even see Wyatt my son can someone please help

I wish i could help man, but i have no experience in this, This is something i think isnt a question of personal stories but is the realm of lawyers.  I would get a good family lawyer and fight this.

I want every vet that has PTSD to get help, but i do see this as another reason why most vets dont get help. These can include

• losing control of your finances.  Why the VA cares whether i can pay my bills or not is beyond me.  If i can, fine.  If i cant that money has nothing to do with the VA.  If they say i rate 1200 a month, if i spend it on gambling, housing or booze, they shouldnt have a say in what i spend it on, once i deserve it, i deserve it.  If i owe creditors, thats a "me" problem, not them.
  • Losing guns.  I think this is overblown and doesnt happen that often.  it can.  but its a real concern.  But i do agree, if someone does have suicidal and homicidal tendencies (and there is a watershed between "i have thought about it before" and "i am planning on it/have planned on it/will do it".) from owning a weapon.  If you are wishing to cause someone harm, im sorry but i dont want you with one.
  • used against you in court.  Such as the family case above, i have a real fear, that if i get in an altercation with someone, say they jumped me outside a bar or on th street and they say "hey he attacked us, he was acting crazy" if a jerk DA sees i have PTSD, then that will be good enough to not be believed.

I dont know what the answer is.