VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

IMO REFERRALS & REVIEWS

USMC_VET

Question

I want to start a thread for people to post names of IMO/IME's they have used.

THIS IS FOR GOOD AND BAD DOCS.  We want to know who to go to and who to avoid (Keep in mind if your symptoms and evidence does not support a DX or SC that does not mean they are a Bad doctor, it means you havent given them what they need to do what you want)

Rules: (and Tbird/mods have final say)

1) Follow the template below, Copy and Paste

2) do not list out your whole story of your claims spanning back 20 years, keep it concise

3) If they were good or bad, list concise (ie quick and to the point) reasons why.

TEMPLATE:

COPY AND PASTE

--------------------------------------------

WHERE ARE THEY:

NAME:

WHAT IS THEIR SPECIALTY (or what you were seen for):

COST:

REVIEW (keep the Yes or No, based on whats correct)

Did they review your entire file (YES) (NO)  --

Did they provide a well written DBQ/IMO/IME (YES) (NO)  --

Were they familiar with VA Claims (38 cfr, M21, etc) ? (YES) (NO) --

Would you classify them as "Vet Friendly" (YES) (NO) --

Would you recommend them to other veterans? (YES) (NO) --

Comments: (Be Brief)

--------------------------------------------------

Edited by USMC_VET (see edit history)
  • Like 2

19 answers to this question

I will start us off

WHERE ARE THEY: Howell, MI

NAME: Dr. Elaine Trippi

WHAT IS THEIR SPECIALTY (or what you were seen for): Mental Health

COST: $350+

Did they review your entire file (YES)

Did they provide a well written DBQ/IMO/IME (YES)

Were they familiar with VA Claims (38 cfr, M21, etc) ? (YES)

Would you classify them as "Vet Friendly" (YES)

Would you recommend them to other veterans? (YES)

Her DBQ/IME was considered "adequate for rating purposes"  (Va did not require their own docs for a C&P).  she was recommended by other vet friends and from what i have gathered is considered well regarded and has weight with ratings decisions.

• Like 1

WHERE ARE THEY: Bethesda, Md.

NAME: Dr. Craig C Bash

WHAT IS THEIR SPECIALTY (or what you were seen for): Speciality Neuroradiology

claim for undiagnosed and untreated diabetes mellitus due to AO,cont4ributing to the veteran's death

COST: $2,000 each for 2 IM0s and I had a Neuro freebee that corroborated the IMOs

Did they review your entire file (YES) (NO)  --Yes

Did they provide a well written DBQ/IMO/IME (YES) (NO)  --Yes

Were they familiar with VA Claims (38 cfr, M21, etc) ? (YES) (NO) --Yes

Would you classify them as "Vet Friendly" (YES) (NO) --Yes

Would you recommend them to other veterans? (YES) (NO) --YES

It might appear odd that I hired a NeuroRadiologist to do a claim about diabetes that my former reps said would not succeed,but I knew I would succeed and had prepared a cover letter, enclosed my own lay medical opinion,(which was enough for me to win FTCA without an IMO after a battle ) and a step by step reference to supporting medical evidence that supported my claim as well as to my husband's autopsy, to send to Dr Bash.. I had done a lot of the  medical work prior to even contacting Dr. Bash,and just mentioned briefly some of my evidence in email to him, and he contacted me back right away. The 4,000 total cost was an investment into a claim-that once I began to prepare it, I knew would be awarded.Because...................

Evidence is Everything . DMII never diagnosed and never treated, causing service connected death.This was for direct SC death due to AO and not a 1151 claim.

Edited by Berta (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Admins need to make this a sticky post

• Like 1

WHERE ARE THEY: Connecticut

NAME: Dr. Michael Cohen PHD

WHAT IS THEIR SPECIALTY (or what you were seen for): Neuropsychology

COST: UNKNOWN (see comments)

michael.cohen.phd@post.harvard.edu

Did they review your entire file  -- NA

Did they provide a well written DBQ/IMO/IME   -- NA

Were they familiar with VA Claims (38 cfr, M21, etc) ?  -- NA

Contacted him for help with my TBI claim.  He could not see me due to need for a in person interview and exam and i cannot travel to Connecticut however he was as vet friendly as can be and is aware of the massive idiocy relating to VA's treatment of TBI claims and vets.  Spent days researching the closest neuropsychology that he would recommend for treatment/exams.  If you are in the area or can travel to CT then i would highly recommend him.

WHERE ARE THEY: NJ

NAME: Dr. Jonathan Mack PHD

WHAT IS THEIR SPECIALTY: Neuropsychology

COST: 5-10k

REVIEW

Did they review your entire file  -- NA

Did they provide a well written DBQ/IMO/IME   -- NA

Were they familiar with VA Claims (38 cfr, M21, etc) ?  -- NA

Comments:

I contact Dr. Mack for a IMO to help with TBI claim.  mainly to differentiate the etiology of my PTSD and TBI symptoms so that they could be rated separately as well as to establish TBI as a diagnosed condition.  Dr. Mack was kind, helpful and cordial but stated that the testing would be very expensive to run through the whole battery.  He was willing to do it but informed me it would be around 5k on low end and more likely around 10k or higher if my case was more complex than he could tell now.  While I could not afford it at the moment, he recommended finding someone locally.  If you are in need of a true FORENSIC examination of your TBI and have the scratch, then i would recommend him.  He knows his stuff.

USMC_VET,

I emailed Dr Trippi  and got the email returned  said it was no such addy?

Do you happen to have it?...although I got it off her web site and rechecked still got it back?

Thanks Buddy

....Buck

USMC_VET,

I emailed Dr Trippi  and got the email returned  said it was no such addy?

Do you happen to have it?...although I got it off her web site and rechecked still got it back?

Thanks Buddy

....Buck

http://www.drelainetripi.com/ptsd_self_test_for_men.html

take her test online, thats how she usually gets back to folks.  if she doesnt hten let me know.

• Like 1

We used Dr John Ellis MD

WHERE ARE THEY: Oklahoma City OK

NAME: Dr John Ellis

WHAT IS THEIR SPECIALTY (or what you were seen for):- He does Medical Lar and Forensic Medicine, he is an expert in Occupational Medicine, and he teaches other medical progessionals about Forensic medicine , His Curriculum Vitae is extensinve. He is Board Certified, and his practice is primarily Occupational Medicine.

COST:$650

5100 N Brookline Ave # 465, Oklahoma City, OK 73112
(405) 917-5336

Did they review your entire file (YES) (NO)  -- Yes

Did they provide a well written DBQ/IMO/IME (YES) (NO)  - Yes                                                                                                                                                          Were they familiar with VA Claims (38 cfr, M21, etc) ? (YES) (NO) -- Yes

Would you classify them as "Vet Friendly" (YES) (NO) -- Yes very

Would you recommend them to other veterans? (YES) (NO) -- Yes

• Like 3

Where they are: San Diego

Specialty: Multiple Myeloma/ Hemotology

Cost: was covered by insurance (She's treating)

UCSD MOORES Cancer Center

Dr. C. Costello

summary: A learning experience for both of us. She does the Dr thing and I gathered and studied causation. I showed her my pics and further evidence and in turn she, with a clear conscience wrote a great IMO "as likely as not". During this process we learned about the VA together and the verbiage for a nexus letter, and for her, what the hell a nexus letter was! Anyway she is all squared away now and is comfortable writing IMO's for service members suffering from the same cancer.

I know it's hard to get a Dr to write and IMO but, what I did was take the attitude that I will help educate her and this will help any veterans who come to her later and want an IMO, she will know exactly what one is. 

Anyway she is a great MM oncologist and I'm lucky to have her.

• Like 1

Valor Compensation Consulting

Name- Bethany Spangenburg

Where they are. AZ

Specialty- general health and VA Compensation and Pension exams

Cost- Is a negotiable fee ( they offer payments and other options) very helpful!!!

I contacted them from this forum and found them to not only Veteran owned but very knowledgeable about the claims process. What is I really liked is the understanding of situations and flexibility the offered me. They even follow up just check and make sure I am doing ok and ensure that I am attending appointments that I should, or if I just need to talk. I am awaiting my decision but the documents I received from Valor compensation Consulting were more than I could have hoped for and I feel very confident in their service. Plus they took payments for my services. That really helped me so much.

• Like 4

WHERE ARE THEY: Landrum, SC

NAME: CLIFFORD VOCATIONAL SERVICES

SPECIALTY: Employability Assessments and IMOs

COST:600

I have heard outstanding things about Dr Pat Clifford and especially his Employment Assessibility reports. Essentially, he takes your sc disabilities and records and writes a thorough report on whether you are employable or non employable, as well as permanently disabled, etc. This comes in extremely useful in obtaining TDIU. He is very vet friendly, and i know of two other vets that used his reports and were approved pretty quickly for tdiu. I would highly recommend him, also you can send your records to him, no need for travel. 

• Like 1

Almost forgot, Dr Clifford's contact # is 864-457-2136

flores97:

What types of CP Exams can Dr. Clifford Do or does he have a particular specialty? I'm in WA State and it's a long way for me to go...but I will if need be?

Rootbeer22

• Like 1

Rootbeer 22, I am not certain on his specialty, but he is superb at getting vets tdiu based off of their already SC disabilities, I would call him asap, I've heard great things about him from my attorney as well.

Flores97:

Thanks..

What does he charge?

So you have an attorney? I'm at 90% and just need to get over the hump to 100% and was hoping that my C-File would show up..but not sure how long that it's taking to get them these days? Currently, I'm at 8 months and would have thought that it would be here by now?

Rootbeer22

• Like 1

Rootbeer22, he charges 600 total for the employability assessment. You would need to send him your past twelve months of treatment recs for sc disabilities, (the two that you believe preclude you from gaining employment), any dbq's and positive c&p exams, and copies of award letters. He thoroughly reviews your recs and writes up his report.

WHERE ARE THEY: Arizona

NAME:  Dr. Anaise

WHAT IS THEIR SPECIALTY (or what you were seen for):  General Med, Transplant, Practicing VA Attorney as well.

COST:  $1,500

id they review your entire file  - YES

Did they provide a well written DBQ/IMO/IME?  -YES

Were they familiar with VA Claims (38 cfr, M21, etc) ? YES - exceptionally so as a VA lawyer.

Would you classify them as "Vet Friendly" -- YES

Would you recommend them to other veterans? -- YES

Provided me IMO for Sleep Apnea secondary to diabetes, asthma, and pain left ankle.  Opined increase of left ankle to 30%.  Very detailed, strong resume 5 patents, 100 published articles, board certified.  Also a VA attorney.  Definitely understand VA and how to write a letter.  2-3 week turn around.

• Like 2

WHERE ARE THEY: Tucson, AZ. 

NAME:  David Anaise

WHAT IS THEIR SPECIALTY  Medical Physician and a certified VA Disability Benefits Attorney.

COST:  $1,500

Did they review your entire file  - YES

Did they provide a well written IMO?  -YES

Were they familiar with VA Claims (38 cfr, M21, etc) ? Over and above.  

Would you classify them as "Vet Friendly" -- YES

Would you recommend them to other veterans? -- YES

COMMENTS -  This is the guy I wanted doing my NOD appeal for Sleep Apnea.  He's an MD and a certified VA Disability Lawyer all rolled into one. Strong resume. Got an impressive 12-Page IMO (1/4 inch thick) within three weeks of contact.  It had exhibits, graphics, medical literature documentation, and strong rationales to my existing s/c disabilities - more bells and whistles than I expected! He has won Sleep Apnea Appeals for others in Court.  I am confident VA will be pressed to deny this IMO.  Get it done right.....HIGHLY RECOMMEND !

Edited by Wayne TX
misspelled words (see edit history)

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines