VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

How Difficult Is It To Get A Zero Percent Rating?

rdawg

Question

I had a broken fifth toe in service (1989) and was wondering how difficult it would be to get a 0 percent rating for this. Would I need to have it xrayed to show that there are residuals? I've had pain in the past but treated it with Over the counter Meds.

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

17 answers to this question

yes, I nijured my back inservice in 1987 and am seeking service connection for DDD now. I'm trying to find the easiest path to 0 percent for business purposes.

I know htey took an xray of my toe in service and it showed a broken toe.

38 CFR

§ 4.31 Zero percent evaluations.

In every instance where the schedule does not provide a zero percent evaluation for a diagnostic code, a zero percent evaluation shall be assigned when the requirements for a compensable evaluation are not met.

[58 FR 52018, Oct. 6, 1993]

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

This is kinda a new twist.

I mean, after all, most of us are just trying to get some sort of rating that will allow us to pay the rent and buy groceries.

Now we've got someone that doesn't want anything MORE than a 0%.

hmmmmmmmmm, errr, ahhhhhh, Man, I don't know how you go about ONLY getting a 0%............. B)

I got one 0% rating for a finger I cut open on a steel band when I got startled, when we got fired upon in Vietnam, I applied for a rating back in 1971, but the VA wouldn't help me find my CO, who took me to a Korean base to get my finger sewn up, as it wasn't in my SMR, so couldn't prove it that way. Finally in 2002 I found my CO, thanks to the internet, who back up my claim, so was awarded 0%, if the VA could of helped me out in 71, then might of got 10%, but who knows for sure, as back then my finger gave me a lot of problems, today the scar isn't that bad, but still have numbness and pain, especially when the weather gets cold up here in MN. I also had Malaria in Vietnam, 9 days in the hospital, went in with a 104.8 temperature, packed in ice for 3 days to bring temperature down, but again, no SMR records to prove anything, as all my SMR after basic are gone, and between the DOD, the VA AND ST. LOUIS, NO ONE HAS A CLUE, NO MORNING REPORTS, NO NOTHING TO PROVE ANYTHING, sorry about the capitals, hard time typing, with 5 fingers with little or no feeling in them. about a week after back surgery a year ago, the three smallest fingers on right hand went numb, now one VA doctor says it is from ulnar nerve, so scheduled for surgery, but another VA doctor says it is from neck, so who knows for sure.

Guest terrysturgis

I think a lot of us are SC at 0% for hearing. I went through the same nexus, evidence and proof required for SC but as we all know you have to be darn near deaf to get a rating. The good news is that when I achieve that platau the VA will recognize my hearing loss as SC and help me out. My wife thinks I'm almost there. JMHO. Terry Sturgis

• HadIt.com Elder

Rdawg,

I had a broken fifth toe in service (1989) and was wondering how difficult it would be to get a 0 percent rating for this. Would I need to have it xrayed to show that there are residuals? I've had pain in the past but treated it with Over the counter Meds

To add to what Rickb54 said. For a fracture of some type, generally, x-rays that show arthritis where the fracture took place will warrant a 10% rating. Also, the VA grants service-connection for disabilities or diseases incurred while in service and have current residulas. That is what sevice connection is for. In your case, if there isn't any x-ray evidence of arthritis, but still have pain residules documented in some way shape or form, that will probably warrant a 0% rating.

I know htey took an xray of my toe in service and it showed a broken toe

This would help establish service-connection, but would not have any effect on the actual percentage assigned.

Calnight,

0% for maleria. I thought after 2 weeks in the hospital and 101 temp and the loss of 15 lbs ( mostly from the loss of fliuds from sweating ) I would get 10%

As I stated above, this would help establish service-connection, but has nothing to do with the percentage the VA assigns as a rating. The rating percentage is derived from the current residules the veteran has stemming from their disability.

Vike 17

Edited by Vike17 (see edit history)

Vike 17,

To add to what Rickb54 said. For a fracture of some type, generally, x-rays that show arthritis where the fracture took place will warrant a 10% rating. Also, the VA grants service-connection for disabilities or diseases incurred while in service and have current residulas. That is what sevice connection is for. In your case, if there isn't any x-ray evidence of arthritis, but still have pain residules documented in some way shape or form, that will probably warrant a 0% rating.

I got an x-ray today. No arthritis but the Dr. said the fracture never healed properly. Would this be rated the same as arthritis?

Thanks,Rdawg

Hey berta,

can you give me some insight on this. thanks.

I had a fractured toe in service (in SMRs 1989). I went for an xray last week and the Dr. said the xray showed that the fracture never healed properly. Do I still need his opinion that this condition is service connected or is the x-ray evidence enough?

rdawg

yes, I nijured my back inservice in 1987 and am seeking service connection for DDD now. I'm trying to find the easiest path to 0 percent for business purposes.

I know htey took an xray of my toe in service and it showed a broken toe.

Ive got several ) percent ratings

"Hey berta,

can you give me some insight on this. thanks.

I had a fractured toe in service (in SMRs 1989). I went for an xray last week and the Dr. said the xray showed that the fracture never healed properly. Do I still need his opinion that this condition is service connected or is the x-ray evidence enough?

rdawg"

A recent X ray is not enough-nor would his opinion be enough- you still need a nexus statement, something from your service records to show the toe was fractured in service.

Edited by Berta (see edit history)

• HadIt.com Elder

Having a statement from a doctor saying the fracture is service connected is essential in most cases. Unless it is a presumptive disease I would get the statement. Even a gunshot wound should have a statement attatched that this occurred in service. You don't want to give the VA any wiggle room. Remember you are being rated by people who are not doctors or lawyers and are probably just high school graduates with 10-15 years experience as claims examiners. You need to wrap it up with a bow.