VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

NEW LAW PASSED! Property Tax Exemption

I am from Tennessee. I questioned this new rule and was told that you really do not need to be at 100% to start receiving the "Property Relief Benefit. Where veterans are confused is that the 100% applies to POW's. I was further told that it really depends on the Veterans Administration once the request is initiated. I have tried this several years back and VA had disapproved it. I am at 60% now. I am going to resubmit my claim on Oct 1, 2016. If this new rule applies in Illinois, it should be a nation-wide law. After all we are all veterans that made many sacrifices. This should be a federal implementation, not a state.

TopSarge43,

Good points and I totally agree that you do NOT have to be 100% to get this.  I also agree that this should be a nationwide law as opposed to state mandated. It's like every state is reading from a different policy book. This is not just for POWs though - that would be crazy. The way it works in Illinois is shown below and you don't have to be a prisoner of war to get it. So sorry they told you that because it's simply not true.

A disabled veteran with a 70% or higher service-connected disability will be tax exempt.

• A disabled veteran with at least 50%, but less than 70% service-connected disability will receive a $5,000 reduction in the property's EAV.
  • A disabled veteran with at least 30%, but less than 50% service-connected disability will receive a $2,500 reduction in property's EAV.

Residential Property Tax exemptions are and will always be Determined by the Individual State Legislation. The Fed's including the VA, have nothing to say about who get's an exemption or what Degree of SC Disability is required. Whatever, if any, DAV Residential Property Tax Exemptions, are controlled by your State legislature.

It appears from some of some Hadit post's, certain counties have enacted their own versions of a DAV RPT Exemption, evidently their respective states don't have a DAV RPT Exemption, written into State's Proprty Tax Laws.

In Michigan, the Rascally Republican Governor and Legislature finally got around (11/2013) to issuing a Law making a DAV Total Residential Property Tax Exemption available to 100% SC, or in receipt of Pecuniary (ramps etc) Assistance OR IU Rated Vets. What a shot in the arm that was!

Semper Fi