Jump to content
VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans

  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.


  • question-001.jpeg

    Have Questions? Get Answers.

    Tips on posting on the forums.

    1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.
      Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.
    Leading too:

    exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.
    • Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?
    • Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?
    This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • VA Watchdog

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

  • 0

Gw1 Hospital Records



I get quite a few request for this and have posted it a few times. (I lose it often with my memory)


DoD Database Helps Locate Gulf War Hospital Records

WASHINGTON, August 4, 1998 (GulfLINK) - The Office of the Special Assistant for Gulf War Illnesses announced today that it is offering assistance to those Gulf War veterans who have had difficulty in obtaining copies of their inpatient hospital records from the Gulf War. Collaborating with the Department of Veterans Affairs, the National Personnel Record Center and the Department of the Army, the office is creating a consolidated database to retrieve hospital records for all patients treated in Army, Navy and Air Force Gulf War hospitals. Veterans who are interested in securing information from these records are encouraged to contact the office to request a data search.

"Our goal is to inventory any known surviving hospital record from the Gulf War and create a database with names of all U.S. military and coalition forces and civilians," said Dr. Bernard Rostker, the special assistant for Gulf War illnesses.

In the military, the disposition and storage of records is governed by each service, DoD regulations and statute. Medical records fall into two categories: individual health records and inpatient hospital treatment records.

Individual health records include clinic visits, diagnostic tests, immunizations, dental care, and, in some cases, discharge summaries of inpatient care. These records represent a history of a service member’s medical care and accompany them throughout their military career. Upon a member’s separation or retirement, the individual health record is retired to the Department of Veteran’s Affairs Record Management Center in St. Louis, Mo., Rostker said.

Inpatient hospital treatment records are created each time a service member is admitted to a military medical treatment facility for care. These records document all treatment and procedures performed while the member is hospitalized. If the patient is evacuated to another facility, a copy of the treatment record accompanies the patient and the original record is retained with the hospital’s files. Defense Department guidelines call for hospital in-patient treatment records to be retired within a span of four to 10 years, depending upon the facility’s record disposition policy to the National Personnel Records Center where they are archived under the name of the hospital transferring the records.

War often skews even the best policy, explained Rostker. In a fast-paced, chaotic battle environment a service member’s individual health record may be maintained by his unit and never reach the hospital administering care or the individual may receive treatment in a number of facilities. The in-theater hospitals did not have transcriptionists, so discharge summaries were not done in most cases. Also, the in-theater hospital generally did not have copy machines, so when a patient was transferred to a hospital, the original record was sent with the patient.

After the war, veterans seeking their medical records had to know the name of the facility that treated them during the war in order to obtain the record from the hospital or the National Personnel Records Center.

The need for a database grew out of the concerns veterans expressed to Rostker’s team about locating their records. Many veterans thought that their records were lost or destroyed.

"The records were never lost or destroyed," explained Mike Boyle, an investigator on Roskter’s medical issues team. "If veterans didn’t know the name of the hospital that treated them, there was no way of finding their records."

To come up with a solution for veterans, Rostker’s staff built on the work accomplished by the Department of the Army. The Army created an electronic database which cross referenced the patient’s name and social security number with the name of the admitting hospital and dates of care for 10,500 in-patient treatment records before sending the records to the records center in St. Louis. This accounted for approximately 70 percent of the Army Gulf War inpatient records.

The Special Assistant’s staff members flew to the records center in St. Louis to examine more than 2,000 boxes identified as Air Force and Navy hospital records from the Gulf War. The hands-on effort, augmented by Army reservists, resulted in the identification of 7,000 additional Air Force and Navy in-patient hospital records. Rostker’s team added this list of individuals by name, social security number and hospital facility name to the Army’s electronic database.

"We literally examined and reviewed every record," said Boyle, explaining how the team provided the bridge to unlock the information.

Rostker and his staff hope that this effort will assist veterans who require records to establish a claim with the Department of Veterans Affairs due to service-related illness, as well as those who wish to keep track of their medical conditions.

To obtain copies of in-patient hospital records from hospitals deployed to the Gulf, the veteran should call the Special Assistant’s office at 1-800-497-6261 to request a database search. The office will complete a request form and forward it to the veteran for signature and mailing to the record center.

Individual health records of former service members are archived in two locations, Boyle said. The VA maintains records for Army veterans discharged after 1992; and Air Force, Marine and Navy veterans discharged after 1994. To obtain copies, veterans may call the VA at 1-800-827-1000. For all other records, veterans should write to the National Personnel Records Center, 9700 Page Ave., St. Louis, Mo. 63132.


This is how I found my records. I would not be SC if I hadn't found this page.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Answers 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

0 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

There have been no answers to this question yet

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines