VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rating Reduction from 100% to 10%

Rate this question

cg1979

Question

Back in March of 2013 I was awarded a schedular rating of 100% for hypothyroidism, 20% for meniscal tear right knee, 20% for meniscal tear left knee, 10% tinnitus, 0% hypertension, all of which were retroactive to August 2011. In August of this year I was sent to a C&P Exam for my hypothyroidism, my condition has not improved and in fact has worsened, I explained this to the examiner but she seemed reluctant to accept it since I am on medication. A day or two after the C&P exam I sent a letter (certified mail) to the VARO stating that I have not improved and listed the symptoms that have worsened and the symptoms that have remained static. A few days ago I received a letter, dated Sept 23, that the VA is proposing a reduction from 100% to 10% for hypothyroidism because they "noted some improvement", the letter states that my combined evaluation will drop from 100% to 50%. I also received a second letter, dated Sept 23, it states that they made a decision and the hypothyroidism is rated at 10%, the effective date is left blank, it also states "your current benefit payment will continue unchanged." I was also just informed that they want to send me to another C&P exam for my knees.

I should also mention that I have not been to a VA doctor since my original award so the only evidence that they have listed on the proposal letter is the original March 2013 award and the August 2015 exam.

From my research I thought that a 100% rating required the VA to prove a material improvement under the ordinary condition of life. Their incorrect assertion of some improvement is not necessarily "material improvement" and I also do not lead a normal daily life since I do not work full time, I have my own part time business that I come and go as I please depending on my energy levels and how I feel, earning little to no income.

I thought that I had 60 days to respond to the VA with evidence regarding the proposed reduction. How can they send a proposal and decision letter on the same day? It's also odd that the decision letter states "your current benefit payment will continue unchanged." and that their is no effective date.

Currently I need to find an attorney that is a expert in VA claims as well as a doctor to verify that my condition has not improved since my previous award decision. Do you have any recommendations? or any other thoughts on this subject?

Edited by cg1979

USMC Vet..no offense taken, and none intended.  We are on the same page here, trying to help a Vet.  

I read earlier where a Veteran filed a NOD to a "Proposed Reduction" and it did not go well for that Veteran.   The VA trashed the nod then told the Vet it was too late for him to now request a hearing, or to dispute the rating reduction.  VA can be anal when it comes to using the right terminology, right form.  

Katrina Eagle, in an artilcle about 4 years ago on reductions, suggested you always ask for a hearing in proposed reductions.   

Wow, i hadnt heard that.  Thats the problem with the VA, they accepted mine, trashed his.  From now on i wont mention that 3 letter word for reductions!

On a different note thats why i dont like the reconsideration idea for appeals, it seems like a great vehicle for the VA to use to drag out the year and then deny you your NOD once the time has gone by.

I will google that article.

USMC Vet.

Here is the article by Katrina EAgle on REductions that was posted some time ago:

While its not all current, its still likely sound advice:

Reductions and Severances
How To Challenge A VA Proposal to Reduce or Take Away A Veteran’s Monthly Compensation
Katrina J. Eagle, Attorney at Law
http://www.wildhaberlaw.com/

It is of primary importance for veterans to understand that no matter how entitled to VA compensation they may be, it does come with strings attached. VA service-connected compensation is meant to do just that – compensate a veteran for the inability of that veteran to earn a living or “obtain and, or maintain gainful employment” because of his or her service-related medical conditions. The VA takes the stance that all medical conditions have the potential to improve, resolve, and, or disappear completely (unless determined to be “permanent and total”). Thus, the VA orders re examinations in order to assess the current severity of the veteran’s service-connected disability.
Here are the key VA Rules and Regulations relevant to this issue:
a. The VA can (and will) schedule reexaminations for veterans who receive compensation benefits at any time. See 38 CFR § 3.327(a), © (2007).
b. If the veteran fails to appear for a reexam without good cause, the VA can (and will) reduce or discontinue the veteran’s monthly disability payments. See 38 CFR 3.655© (2007).
c. Generally, reexams are scheduled within 2 – 5 years of last VA exam, and are conducted so that the VA can assign a rating that reflects current severity of veteran’s disability.
d. But, the VA should not schedule a reexams if any of the following situations exist: The disability is static; Symptoms have persisted w/o material improvement for 5 years or more; A disability from disease is permanent and not likely to improve; The veteran is 55 y.o. or more; or The rating assigned is the minimum rating or a reduction in a disability rating would not affect total combined rating. See 38 CFR § 3.327(cool.gif(2) (2007).
e. Any rating evaluation that has “stabilized”, i.e., that it has “continued for a long period of time (5 yrs or more) at the same level” may not be reduced unless all evidence of record shows SUSTAINED IMPROVEMENT in the disability. See 38 CFR 3.344(a),© (2007).
Note: “Sustained improvement” must be based on all evidence of record; i.e., a change in rating cannot be based on single examination “in isolation of rest of the record”.
So, despite fitting into one of the 5 categories listed above, a veteran gets a letter in the mail from the VA informing him or her of the VA’s “proposal to reduce” the veteran’s disability evaluation for one or more service-connected conditions. First important aspect to realize: this letter (and any accompanying documents) is not a decision to which a veteran can submit a Notice of Disagreement. It is a proposal, but should be handled with the same care and concern as though the VA had made an actual decision.
The Process by Which the VA Will Attempt to Reduce a Veteran’s Service-Connected Disability Rating:
VA must send a notice specifying the proposed adverse action. See 38 CFR §§ 3.103(cool.gif(2), 3.105(e) (2007). VA must provide the veteran 60 days from the date of the notice by which to “submit evidence for purpose of showing that adverse action should not be taken.” BUT, VA need not give notice if the actual amount of compensation paid is not reduced as a result of proposed rating reduction.

In same notice, VA must inform veteran about right to a Predetermination Hearing. If the veteran wants one, he or she must request it within 30 days of notice. See 38 CFR § 3.105(i) (2007).

Predetermination hearing must be conducted by VA personnel NOT involved in initial proposed rating reduction. Whenever possible, request a predetermination hearing because it will delay the VA’s implementation of the reduction by some 2-3 months, thereby buying the veteran some time to obtain evidence to support his opposition to the proposed reduction.

Under the auspices of VA’s duty to assist, it must advise the veteran about the types of evidence – medical and nonmedical – that the veteran should submit to avoid a reduction in the disability rating. If the VA failed to properly notify the veteran, write a letter to VARO and ask for clarification and specificity.

If the veteran fails to respond and, or submit evidence within 60 days, then the VA issues final rating decision with notice that benefits will be reduced in 60 days.
Ways to challenge a VA proposal to reduce a veteran’s disability rating:
a) Review the most recent VA medical evaluation – was it “full and complete”? Any exam that is less thorough than the exam used to GRANT benefits may not be used as a basis for a reduction. See 38 CFR 3.344(a).
cool.gif Consider the nature of the medical condition. If the disability is prone to temporary and episodic improvement, it cannot be reduced based on the findings of any one exam UNLESS all the evidence of record “clearly warrants the conclusion that sustained improvement has been demonstrated” AND the evidence makes it reasonably certain that the improvement will be maintained under the ordinary conditions of life. See 38 CFR § 3.344(a) (2007).
c) Review the VA’s historical evaluation(s) of the disability – has the VA assigned it a continuous rating? If a disability has been rated continuously at or above a particular rating level for 20 years or more, the VA cannot reduce the rating below that level, unless fraud has been committed. See 38 CFR § 3.951(cool.gif (2007). Such a continuous rating is often referred to as a “protected rating.” This same 20-year rule also applies to rating levels that are assigned retroactively when a previous decision was revised based on CUE.
Beware of the misleading language in the VA regulation! The VA can reduce a “protected rating”, just never below the lowest rating ever assigned to it so long as it stayed at or above that lowest rating for 20 years or more.
Ways to challenge a VA proposal to reduce a veteran’s TOTAL disability evaluation:
a. In order for the VA to properly reduce a total (100%) disability evaluation, it must have examination findings of MATERIAL IMPROVEMENT in the disability. See 38 CFR § 3.343(a) (2007). But, “material improvement” must also be shown “under the ordinary conditions of life, i.e., while working or actively seeking work.” So, VA rationale must include review and comparison of the disability’s past AND current symptomatology. Also take note that the VA cannot reduce a total rating simply because its current symptoms equate to a lesser disability rating in the Diagnostic Code’s Schedule of Ratings.
b. Even when the VA properly shows MATERIAL IMPROVEMENT such that a total rating warrants reduction, if the veteran is unable to engage in “substantially gainful employment” because of the service-connected disability, the veteran must be awarded a total (100%) rating based on individual unemployability (aka “TDIU” or “IU”). See 38 CFR § 4.16 (2007). The VA cannot reduce a total rating based on TDIU unless “clear and convincing evidence” establishes that the veteran is capable of “actual employability.” See 38 CFR § 3.343© (2007).
Ways to challenge a VA proposal to reduce a veteran’s UNPROTECTED disability rating:
Even cases that involve disability ratings in effect for less than 5 years and, or less than total (100%) disability ratings (aka “unprotected cases) are subject to several VA rules and regs with which VA must comply:
a. Any proposed reduction must be based upon review of entire history of veteran’s disability; b. The VA must determine whether there has been an actual change in the disability; c. Any improvement must include the veteran’s ability to function under the ordinary conditions of life and work; and, d. Exam reports reflecting any such change must be based on thorough examinations. See 38 CFR §§ 4.1, 4.2, 4.13 (2007).
Consider these arguments when challenging a reduction in an unprotected case:
a. The VA must outline the time period in which application of 38 CFR § 3.344 (re stabilization of disability eval) is based. b. The VA must specify the medical evidence relied upon for proof of sustained improvement. c. The VA must explain how it determined with reasonable certainty that improvement of the veteran’s medical condition(s) will be maintained under the ordinary conditions of life. d. Thus, the VA may not lawfully reduce a disability rating unless it addresses whether the condition has actually improved since the time it was either granted or continued. See Manual M21-1MR, Part III, subpart iv, 8.D.12(cool.gif 38 CFR §§ 4.1, 4.2, 4.13 (2007).
Regarding the VA’s severance of service-connected compensation, these are the two common circumstances:
a) Due to Fraud by Claimant –
cool.gif The process and the due process protections are identical to when VA proposes a disability rating reduction. c) Service-connected and DIC benefits (aka “widow benefits") are protected from severance after 10 years UNLESS fraud or lack of required length or character of service is discovered.
d) Due to clear and unmistakable error (C&UE) in the decision which granted service connection.
e) In these types of cases, the burden of proof is on the VA to substantiate C&UE. It’s worth also noting the C&UE in the context of severance is not the same as C&UE regarding other issue; in severance cases, evidence and, or info after decision was made can be considered. f)Also, the VA need not prove C&UE in cases where service connection was “clearly illegal.”
Katrina’s tips for veterans facing a VA proposal to reduce a service-connected disability rating:
1. Ask for Predetermination Hearing whenever possible; make sure the veteran is credible and sympathetic! 2. Review VA proposals for findings that amount to “unsubstantiated medical conclusions” 3. Whenever possible, get a medical opinion from a treating physician that will counter a VA medical evaluation 4. Emphasize fact that veteran’s disability has not improved such that employment capabilities have improved; thus, reduction is improper."

In part e they talk about how a rating cannot be reduced unless the VA can show beyond a doubt that there is SUSTAINED IMPROVEMENT, that being more than just one exam or doctors note, etc.

However since my rating is year short of the 5 years, it is not considered "stablized" or past the 5 year mark, does this mean that they dont have to prove sustained improvement? i have been doing my research in CACV findings, etc. and cant find case studies for a a reduction for a less than 5 year case. This was going to be one of the main pieces of evidence i used at my hearing (whenever that may be) however i dont want to be made to look foolish or hang my hate on this as my main gripe if i am not correct.

In 38 CFR 344 a it talks about this, that there needs to be sustained improvement but in © it says this applies to those ratings 5 years old or more.