VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

hypertension and nephritis end stage renal failure

Rate this question

Tj

Question

My name is tj I enlisted in the military as a junior in high school. The military was always my career goal. I also got 2 of my buddies to join which boosted my rank to E2 I also had enough college credits to get ranked E3 before basics. I passed a health physical for high school football and august of 1999 I started basics in great lakes, IL. While in basics I was scheduled for a routine dentist appointment and I was found to have a very high bp around 190/120 and was asked if I had a history of high bp for which I never had. I was asked to immediately see the medic for which bp pills were prescribed and follow up next day. Next day same thing bp still elevated. I was then separated and was sent to hospital. After several test biopsy and scans it was found that I have nephrosclerosis and would be discharged and on dialysis within a year so rudely by naval doctor. I had no clue what dialysis was.  I applied for service connected disability in 2000 and was denied for which I appealed. I was awarded ssi. I got discouraged with va and never pursued and more and had a kidney transplant November 2001. Unfortunately it failed may of 2014 and I had to undergo second transplant. The va has always paid for my medication but just January of this year did I start back actively pursuing my claim. I was told countless times that my claim had fallen through the cracks. I always knew this was wrong and now I get a letter stating the va is evaluating my claim for compensation. Also I am getting assistance by American legion. I mailed all of my private medical records to be scanned into the system for easy review. Does this sound like a legitimate claim for va service connected benefits thanks.

I can not express how thankful I am for all of the much needed help with assisting me. Is it common for a veteran to have full medical and medication benefits without a compensation rating. If there is anything that may need to be uploaded just let me know. Berta you are so knowledgeable of kidney problems God bless you.

I saw in one of the downloads that although VA saw the enlistment physical was for a different veteran, they did say there was more evidence to indicate you had this condition upon enlistment.

The only way you could proof that you didnt, would be any pre -service physicals, and  maybe even results of high school physicals.

I am no expert at all on kidney problems but just did some basic research to see of a renal situation due to HBP could appear that fast...so soon after enlistment.

Have you approached any of your doctors ( I assume you get private care due to the transplants) to see if they could opine on the possibility that your condition did arise after enlistment (within an 8 day period I think the downloads said) and was not pre existing?

They would have to follow the IMO format here at hadit and give a very strong medical rationale for their opinion.

They would need your SMRS and all other VA or private  medical records.

Others here will read over the downloads and chime in.But I think you should contact a lawyer and an IMO doctor, or the doctor who has been treating you for this kidney disease. to see what your chances are ,if any, in succeeding in this claim.

Like Berta, I dont see well and cant read your report.  It did sound like the VA is NOT challenging your requiste period of service, that is, you were in the military long enough to suit them.  (Unfortuantely, this can come back later, but at least for now that is good and not an issue).  

You took a physical.  The physician doing the pre entrance physical is "presumed competent".  So, unless he said you had this disease, you got it in service.  There might be an issue, tho of "chronic" if you got it suddenly in service, but there is still a presumption you were sound once you passed the physical.  

There are special rules for ESRD (end stage renal disease) at VA.  You should look those up if it applies to you.  

A real problem is you did not appeal your decision in 2000.  Many of us made that mistake.  It may mean you wont get backpay back to then, unless you can prove CUE.  It is what it is, but you may have cost yourself retro by not timely appealing.  You can still get benefits, tho, and this time dont make the mistake of not appealing.  

Thanks so much for all of the help and the claim I posted was my initial claim however I did appeal it and have the letter to prove it. Imagine how I felt perfectly healthy kid then to have a life changing news to be dropped in your lap with little to no concern. Also notice it states I was discharged for honorary but dd214 stated general, I believe in an attempt to deny any fault initially. I had first transplant in 2000 second may of 2015. I'm still followed up by va and private physician.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks so much for all of the help and the claim I posted was my initial claim however I did appeal it and have the letter to prove it. Imagine how I felt perfectly healthy kid then to have a life changing news to be dropped in your lap with little to no concern. Also notice it states I was discharged for honorary but dd214 stated general, I believe in an attempt to deny any fault initially. I had first transplant in 2000 second may of 2015. I'm still followed up by va and private physician.

"Also notice it states I was discharged for honorary but dd214 stated general"

I don't remember the regs too well, but as I remember, it once was possible to get a general (convenience) under honorable conditions.

Assuming no mis-conduct, I'd likely try to get it changed to full honorable.  If the VA has specific evidence of a prior service condition,

I'd certainly suggest you do everything you can to obtain it. It may turn out that it is non existent, or is not yours.

This caught my eye because the "early out" I had in the Vietnam era fell under a "convenience" clause. but the DD214 showed full honorable,

with a desirable re-enlistment code. My eventual formal discharge was an "Honorable discharge", with all the seals, Leatherette folder, etc..  

The "convenience" part cited "reduction in force" , and was a result of the Navy deciding that Vietnam was starting to wind down, ships were being De-commissioned and scrapped, and too many reserves (like myself) were on active duty. 

The time frame you mentioned also reminded me of the Navy's "fast track" used in the Vietnam era.  For the reserves, TWO WEEKS of boot camp, followed by two weeks on a ship. On the ship part, we had one member of the group that received a medical discharge at the very end of the two weeks. There was a ship heating problem (great lakes, winter, snow, etc.) A fair number of the group had some sort of ear/throat infection as a result. The discharged member had developed perforated eardrums, and both ears were dripping fluid at the last morning muster before we were to leave the ship for immediate further assignment or back to the reserve centers for eventual assignment.

Edited by Chuck75

Thanks buddy and I have in fact filled appropriate paper work to get my dd214 changed to honorary or medical due to not being able to use 10 point preferences on federal or state government jobs.