VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Disability, Sarcoidosis & Agent Orange

Rate this question

glukowicz

Question

Hey, I am new to the forum and in the beginning of a VA Claim for Pulmonary Sarcoidosis from Agent Orange. Those of you that have been successful on linking the two and getting a VA Disability, I was wondering how you linked the two. The VA is asking for scientific or Medical info linking the two from me. I am going to try and get my pulm and arthitis doc(he administers Remicade to me for the sarc) to write a letter, but I am not sure that will be enough. Can any of you share with me how you linked the two?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Hey, I am new to the forum and in the beginning of a VA Claim for Pulmonary Sarcoidosis from Agent Orange. Those of you that have been successful on linking the two and getting a VA Disability, I was wondering how you linked the two. The VA is asking for scientific or Medical info linking the two from me. I am going to try and get my pulm and arthitis doc(he administers Remicade to me for the sarc) to write a letter, but I am not sure that will be enough. Can any of you share with me how you linked the two?

glukowicz,

Go to the BVA appeals website and click on the "search decisions" section.  In the "exact word phrase" section, type in the words "sarcoidosis and agent orange."  You should get some hits on claims previously filed by veterans for agent orange related sarcoidosis.   You will have to sift through the decisions to find the claims decided in favor of the veteran.  To save time when sifting through BVA decisions, I usually scroll down to the end of the decision where the decision of the BVA is stated.  Conduct a thorough review of the favorable decisions and you will see the type of evidence given the most weight by the BVA as well as the law applied in making their decision.   You could also review the unfavorable decisions and see what failed in previous claims. This should give you some ideas as to what you need to succeed with your claim.

Good luck to you and thank you for your service.

GP

I just checked a few of the claims there at the  BVA and found no award of this disability to Agent Orange.

It is not an Agent Orange presumptive.

The AO presumptives are in this link:

http://www.hadit.com/agent-orange-presumptive-conditions/

and the only recent  change to AO regs is that certain  USAF C 123 pilots, crew members have been found to have been exposed to AO.

That C 123 criteria is either in this link or searchable here:

They have to have an AO presumptive disability and proof their exposure via their MOS regarding the C 123s.

Thanks Bertha,but I have found a few that were given disability for sarc thanks to georiapapa directing me to the VAB appeals site. It seems that you need one or more of a few things. One is a doctor that says most likely your sarc is caused by agent orange. two that they show some medical science for the opinion.or three you either complained of symptoms while in service or within a year of getting out. These don't guaranty you can get awarded the disability, but it still depends on the strength of your case.

glukowicz,

I am glad you were able to find some useful info in the BVA decisions. You will definitely need a strong IMO from your doctor supported by reasonable medical rationale supporting the doctor's opinion in the IMO.  The IMO needs to follow a format as shown in the sample IMO letters on the Hadit website.  I believe Berta is the source of the sample IMO letters on Hadit.  As Berta stated, sarcoidosis is not an AO presumptive.  You and your doctor will have to show a direct connection between your sarcoidosis and your exposure to AO during your military service. 

Take care.

GP

glukowicz

I just started the process for sarcoidosis by submitting a claim.  The presumption letter links it to AO. It showed up as a skin disorder back in about 1982.  I also submitted evidence of working with MEK for aircraft inspections and PD680 a dry cleaning solvent used to clean aircraft engines.  Keep us posted on how yours is progressing!