VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Estill Lee Huff

jbasser

• HadIt.com Elder

Today, we buried my last surviving grandparent.  He was 91 years old. He was a WW2 veteran. I did not get much sleep as I reminisced about his life. He was always a very imposing figure in my life, tall, witty.and most of all he was blessed with a heart of gold. He restored a century old clock and gave it to me. He was an avid fisherman and loved Lake Cumberland. I inherited that love of Lake Cumberland and have fished it numerous times. He is buried at the head of my favorite creek just before it runs into the lake.

A few years ago, I visited him and I knew he had a VA claim in as he was medically discharged from the Army in 1945.

He had fought the VA all those years with the VA treating him like a Yo-Yo. 

It took us over 3 years to get his VA claim straightened out. We did do that just a couple of weeks ago. I somehow believe he hung on just to get that security for his wife so she would not have to worry about the future.

It is just wrong to do this to our veterans, especially the WW2 vets.  They are the only reason we have what we have today. 

It doesn't matter how old a veteran is, It is our duty to ensure they have received every benefit they deserve.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

Sorry to hear about your grandfather John...sounds like he was a great guy and I couldn't agree with you more every veteran deserves every benefit he has coming  and I am so glad to hear he got his before he left this world.

I've always had a feeling in me that the WW2 veterans were special Men...My neighbor is 93 years young he is a WW2 Veteran and still gets up early mornings and goes to our VAMC to greet  the Veterans coming in  although he can't walk and in a electric wheel chair   he says he will keep welcoming veterans as long as he is able to get out...He always has a good old War story to tell and probably the most loved/decorated veteran at our VAMC...I have a lot of respect for all our veterans  but he is a special one.

Our condolence to you and your family.

............Buck

jbasser, 

My heart and prayers go out to you and your family.  I can tell by your comments that your grandfather was really special to you.   I lost my paternal and maternal grandparents by the time I was twenty years old.  It left a big void in my life, especially the loss of my granny (paternal grandmother) who had helped in raising me from the time I was born. 

Take care and God bless.

Georgiapapa

Sorry for your loss.  Grandpa can "rest in peace" knowing that his grandson did not let the Va hornswaggle the family out of his Va benefits.  

It sounds like he had a "final unselfish act" for his family.  It would have been much easier for a 92 year old to just give up, but Im pleased he was strong enough to at least help you fight VA one last time.  

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use