VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

depression secondary to chronic pain

Rate this question

Andyman73

Question

I finally did it.  I asked my MH doc if he thought I had enough basis for a claim.  He has me currently DXd with MDD.  He told me that while I do have MDD, he's not so sure I could be successful with that as a claim for SCD.  He asked me if I was 100%, I said no, but I am 80%.  And he asked, then, if I was being paid at 100%.  Said no, and he hmmmmm'd. 

Then I asked if chronic pain made any difference.  He said all depends.  I told him that I fell down a flight of stairs during my 5th day of boot camp back in November of '92.  Said I've been dealing with pain in my knees and lower back ever since that day.  And have developed other issues that cause more pain as well.  He asked if I have fibromyalgia, said no, not that I'm aware of.  Said most of my pain is in various joints...with only some of the pain in muscle groups only.  And that I've been dealing with radiculopathy for some time now, as well.

Then his whole countenance changed, I could see his brain working.  Told me that chronic pain plays a huge part in causing depression.  I mentioned faulty memory, sleep issues, chronic sinusitis and IBS also.  He said all those things for sure can and will and do cause depression.  He said I can't say if you'll get enough to get bumped to 100%, but I certainly do have enough for a good solid claim for depression secondary to chronic pain.

What should I submit for evidence?  Should I submit copies of every STR entry showing where I mention any pain and was prescribed something for the pain?  And every entry where I mention sleep issues, or drinking, or repeated bouts of IBS and sinusitis/URIs? 

I only filed it this past Friday, so I do have a few weeks to get this together and send it off.  Any and all suggestions are welcome, thank you in advance.

Semper Fi.

Andyman

I've been getting prescription NSAIDs from the VA since day one, for my pain issues.  My PCP is well aware of my pain issues.  I have mentioned it to my MH clinician, and even asked him if he thought pain can and often does lead to depression...to which he replied oh yes, it's well documented and accepted in the MH community.

The VARO told me that she can't go against what the examiner wrote.  But said that my MH doc can write an opinion that will trump the examiner's.

No special accommodations made in my behalf.  I am loathe to say anything for fear of jeopardizing my job. 

Semper Fi.

How about posting a redacted copy of the C & P DBQ?

Not interested in IU at this time, OK but get educated earlier rather than later. If your conditions worsen, and they probably will, be prepared to file the claim as an FDC with all the necessary supporting documents scanned and attached. An additional approx $15K per yr tax free, Poss property Tax Exemption, CHAMPVA  for wife & Kids and College for Kids when combined with SSDI at your full boat retirement age rate, would definitely take the edge off, right.

Semper Fi

Gastone,

I would post, however, I haven't yet received the decision letter from the VA on this claim.  Also the MH examiner did not follow a DBQ for depression or any other MH issue.  I had posted his whole exam via Blue Button download, previously, and it was very jumbled and hard to read. 

As mentioned the other day, I did speak to my therapist about this.  He said he is not allowed to write a letter in my behalf, directly.  However, he is allowed to conduct any exams as he deems neccessary in the process of my treatment.  So on my next session he will administer the DBQ for depression, etc; himself and write his notes accordingly.  He said it is the only ethical and legal  way that he can help me.

He went over the notes from the C&P exam and thought it was quite odd that the examiner noted I started drinking to help cope with the pain( yet opined that he couldn't see how a "minor" leg injury could lead to depression).  And further along in his notes he wrote the drinking was connected to the sleep issues, during my service.  But wrote that my depression is more likely due to other factors, but didn't say whether or not the drinking and sleep issues contributed to the depression either. 

Sure seems that he was bound and determined to find no SC at all.  And all this despite the alcohol related incident and subsequent NJP(article 15), and substance abuse treatment(3 weeks outpatient).

Semper Fi.

Andyman