VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mental Health C&P results. What do you think?

Rate this question

teflonron2

Question

I am currently rated 60% SC (40% my back, 30% Major Depressive Disorder) rated in 2011.

I just filed for increase for Major Depressive Disorder and Individual Unemployability. Currently in "preparation for decision phase".

Here's the main points from my C&P exam. What rating/IU does this look like to you? Any input is appreciated.

DIAGNOSIS: Major Depressive Disorder, recurrent and severe; with moderate anxious distress

Which of the following best summarizes the veteran’s level of occupational and social impairment with regards to all mental diagnoses?

·         TOTAL OCCUPATIONAL AND SOCIAL IMPAIRMENT

Veteran provided letter written by his therapist and psychiatrist detailing the severity of his depressive symptoms, impact on daily life, and their shared opinion that the veteran is unemployable. It’s our opinion that the severity of his Major Depressive Disorder symptoms have totally impaired his ability to function in all spheres. At this time, he presents as unemployable in any setting and his symptom severity has grossly affected his ability to function in social settings. He demonstrates clinically significant distress, reporting high levels of depression, even at home, causing impairment in his ability to perform activities of daily living.”

SYMPTOMS:

·         Depressed mood

·         Anxiety

·         Near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independetlay, appropriately and effectively

·         Difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances, including work or work like setting

·         Suicidal ideation

·         Inability to establish/maintain effective relationships

·         Neglect of personal appearance and hygiene

·         Chronic sleep impairment

·         Intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living, including maintenance of minimul personal hygiene

·         Mild memory loss, such as forgetting names, directions, events

·         Impairment of short and long term memory

·         Flattened affect

·         Disturbances of motivation and mood

In my opinion, Mr *****’s severe depressive symptoms interfere profoundly with his occupational and social functioning. My assessment today is fully consistent with what is well-described in his VA treatment records and I concur with his current providers that his “symptoms have totally impaired his ability to function in all spheres.”

Edited by teflonron2

It is sad to hear you say that, and I definitely feel for you my friend. It is really hard to say, it depends on the Rater in most cases. All the experts on here can tell you that the CFR Ratings specifically states this or that, but in the end the RO, C&P Docs, and VA will do what they want whether we agree with it or not. That is why the Appeals Back Log is so long. Good luck, God Bless and always feel that you have somewhere to talk.

Thank you, I appreciate that.  Sometimes I feel like I'm standing in a tiny brick room, every way I turn is another blank wall...kinda like a mime, but no one sees me.