VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SMC (S) Confused

Rate this question

bionoce

Question

I'm rated 70% TDIU P&T for PTSD with MDD, no future exams, and cannot leave my apartment to work a 40 hour week. Or work, period. Trying to read into all these interpretations of what "substantially confined" means is confusing. What do I need to submit for this SMC "S", or am I not eligible? If I am eligible how do you request this, is it a claim? Or do you just write a letter? Thanks.

Edited by bionoce

• HadIt.com Elder

There are 2 classifications of housebound. One is statutory housebound with a total plus 60 percent rating. 

The second one is to be physically housebound by reason of your service connected disabilities.

J

Right. The total plus 60 I am not eligible for. I have other things I could claim like suicide scars, TBI, and tinnitus but honestly, I am pretty much done with going through the denials and remands again. My original claim took 8 years. What I will put in for, if I'm eligible, is the SMC S.  I'm just trying to understand how to do it right the first time. I am inside my home most of the time and can not work around people or be around them much. 

The obvious answer is for you to apply for tdiu and whatever else, along with SMC S, if you "cannot work".  I fully understand, tho, why people dont apply for benefits, understanding that it is a 10 year project for most of us.  I have been at it 13 years, and I probably have several more years to go.  Im also seeking SMC S.   I dont know how many dependents you have, but you may bring home more with NSC pension with SMP housebound, which is easier to get. (Much easier.  I get SMP housebound, but am 100% so I collect 0 for housebound)  NSC Pension with SMP housebound is 1642 per month if you have no other income, with one dependent.  

• HadIt.com Elder

It is not a new claim.  It is a claim for an increase.  Claim it just like any other claim.  Actually, you are not supposed to have to claim it.  However, in the real world you need to claim it and have evidence that you are housebouned due to medical reasons.  I got it for statutory reasons and I had to claim it.  I got it via the CUE avenue.   Just having TDIU is not enough to get "S" unless you can show that you are substantially  confined to your home.  For instance, you have agoraphobia.  That is a basis for "S".  Any physical disability that keeps you at home is also good.  The VA will want to examine you I think.  If it is not statutory it gets medically complicated.  There is a VA medical exam for HB.

John