VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Intro from NC

Rate this question

pumibel

Question

Hello fellow Vets,

I have been viewing this forum for a while as a guest, but I think it is better to be a member when one is reading so many personal accounts. Otherwise, I'm just a creeper. I am a single mom and caregiver to my own mom. I was on active duty with the USAF for 12 years, separated honorably from Bolling AFB.  DC did me in, but when I separated in 2004, I really did not think that I would ever file a claim for anything because I had no faith in doctors and no time machine to realize that my health problems would get so much worse within the decade. Anyway, I would like to say that I am not in the same boat as a lot of traumatically injured members here, but many friends and family members have encouraged me to file for compensation because they have seen my physical and mental capacities decline (I am only 42).  Everything started while I was in the military, but the docs would blow me off almost every time I went in for answers. Funny, if I wanted drugs, they were more than helpful, but to press for tests to find out what was wrong- nope. You can't tell them anything, either. 

I only filed my claim a month ago, and I am already sure I did it wrong or back asswards, so I know I have some time to wait. I look forward to discussions here, and thank you all for your service!

pumibel,

Welcome to Hadit, new member! Thank you for your service!  You may have done something incorrectly, but you are already on the path to making it right by joining our motley family on Hadit.com.

If you don't have your STR, request it now, same for Military record, and C-file.  For the most part you have the right to claim any condition that has a treatment record in your STR from your service.  Also same for secondary conditions caused  by or aggravated by a SCD.  I personally, am continuously surprised on how many different contentions that I do have that I can file a claim for. 

I've been out since the fall of '98, and after my initial round of claims I left mostly well enough alone, too afraid to rock the boat and get dunked for it.  I only stumbled on this site while looking at another one.  This one has been a life saver for me.  And since I've been on here I've gone from 40 to 80%.  And that was after 15 years of being at 40% with little or no hope at all. 

I'm glad to hear that you finally listened to what friends and family have been saying to you.  It will change your life for the better, for you, your kids and your mom.  In case you aren't aware, you can file for adult dependency for your mom, once you reach the 30% mark, which is the point the VA pays a small stipend for your family.  It may be a little larger for adults, though.

But first things first.  I don't know too much, but there are some heavy hitters on here that know more than the VA itself, so you are in good hands, now.  If you are willing, post on here what you filed your claim for, and what info you have from your STR to show the connection.  Some of the experienced Hadit members will offer you some guidance that can get you going on other claims while you wait for you current one to play out.

Again, welcome pumibel, you gonna be alright. 

Semper Fi.

Andyman

Thanks Andyman73!

I claimed for PTSD related to 911 (Pentagon) and the subsequent crazy crap that happened in the aftermath, including the Anthrax mail and DC Sniper attacks. I don't want to write a book here, but I had to become way more involved with 911 response than a Finance person should because I was on the base disaster response team. Also, nothing like sitting in traffic for 3 hours every morning wondering if you are about to get sniped by terrorists or crazies. Anthrax made may job hell, too. Maybe I'm just sensitive. My current diagnosis from the VA is for GAD, some other anxiety NOS, depression, Social Phobia and ADHD (I did not try to claim that as SC because I ran in circles as a kid, lol). It was only recently that my P-doc suggested I had PTSD because my level of physical tension and alertness seemed way off for simple anxiety. I have been seeing him for five years, and he only recently asked about my active duty experiences. I still couldn't go into detail with him, however, because it made me start shaking and stuff. His notes say I meet criteria A,B, and C, but the 4 question assessment was not high enough to make a definitive dx. He wrote that the dx was "suggested", and to rule out PTSD.

Physically, I have problems with my joints- pain, hypermobility, and I seem to tear tendons a lot. I have been dxed with fibromyalgia, arthritis, and I have a lot of weird neuro issues that seem to have no cause. My blood tests are rarely abnormal enough to make the PCP concerned, so the problems don't get better. I have peripheral neuropathy, but no diabetes (not overweight either). I sleep with my eyes open (this is usually caused by some type of nerve damage), so the VA eye clinic has been treating me for exposure keratitis for a few years. I have the migraines, cluster headaches, and chronic fatigue that seems to affect many veterans as well, all blamed on the fibro, usually. I also have the Reynaud's phenomenon, which is a circulation issue related to neuropathy, I think. 

I do need to get my STR, and I have sent the forms in for that. I was trying to get them from the wrong place before, but I have now sent a form to St Louis. I had been to sick call over the years for many of the symptoms that are really kicking my butt now, so I believe I can connect them to service, but I have to check those records to be sure. I know I had Lymes Disease dxed back in 93, which may be relevant. Plus, the medical professionals at my first base tried to kill me a couple of times, no joke. Twelve years of records will help for sure.   

Okay this turned out to be a book anyway, lol. Hope I didn't bore you!

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit pumibel

I'll move your post's to the PTSD/Forums   it will be read more there.

Thank you for your service

.........Buck