VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I think I am going to need help after all!!!

Rate this question

ADodge

Question

I became disabled in 1997.  It never dawned on me to file with the VA for compensation.  I filed with Social Security and was approved.  For years I have struggled on get getting by with my family at times.  Then recently when things got real bad a friend said I should go see the VSO in our city. Maybe I could get some help from them.  So I did and come to find out there was a Veterans program in the state that helps out disabled Vets.  He also suggested that I file for a service related disability claim.  He gave me the paper work, I filled it out and he sent it in.  I really didn't think much would come of it since so much time had passed and just figured the Navy would deny everything.  Months went by I forgot about having filed and suddenly I got a letter from the VA asking me to come in for an exam and also giving me more information about registering on the ebenefits site.  So I did all that went in for the exam. during this time I also filed for other service connected injuries.  From the time I sent my initial claim in to the time it was approve it was all of 9 months I guess. And I was approved at 60%.  That was for the lung condition and everything else was rejected??? Well I really haven't thought much about that, thinking that the claim was approved so quickly that I really didn't have time to send all the necessary information into them.  But after reading a lot of these inquiries and questions on this site and also other sites I am beginning to get the real picture here.  See it did seem rather strange to me that the lung disability was approved right away with the information the had which given some of the other claims that were service related and happened around the same time as the damage to my lungs so the initial medical history would be in my old navy health record same place where they found the information regarding the damage to my lungs.  So why reject those claims?  The information is right there and the civilian doctors I see and am treated by are all at the same hospital where they also have my permission and those doctors names to contact and get medical histories and information from.  So now I am asking myself why didn't they schedule appointments for me to be seen and checked out back then for those injuries too?   I went on the ebenifits site and looked up some info for medical interview and found some really screwy information pertaining to the medical exam or interview I had at the VA.  The person I saw or the person who filled out those forms stated that there was no reason why I couldn't work!!! That there was only one lung condition when in fact  I have 3 lung conditions I take medicine for and am treated for.  Social Security doesn't even think I can work!!!!  So what the hell was that person's issue.  But when I think about it, no one ever asked me anything about working.

So this is my question.  I was going to get someone to help me when I refiled or reopened my cases this second time.  but then thought well I just take it as it goes.  But now I am realizing that is NOT a GOOD IDEA!!!   When I tried to find someone other than an Attorney in my area (North Shore of Boston) I couldn't find anyone.  So I was wondering if there is someone on this site that knows of a person that is not an attorney in this area that can help me.  Or if you know of a Lawyer that can actually be trusted???  (Oxymoron word!) to help me with my case.  I just know it is going to get real messy and I just don't have the strength to fight city hall by myself anymore!!! Know what I mean? Thanks  to anyone with any kind of advice.  AMD

USAF-Vet,

Do you have your C-file?  You mentioned scary things in your STR,  just imagine what your C-file might hold!  I wish you all the best and more with your claims!

Semper Fi.

Andy

USAF-Vet I just might take your advice considering I discharged in 1984 and I was also a dependent the day after discharge.  I never thought of requesting those records and I really should. Thanks for the advice.  

I just checked the status of my last claim and it went from Gathering of Evidence back to Review of Evidence or visa versa so it went backwards.  It took me a while to figure out why??? They I see they are asking for some documents from others.  I click into that and for the life of me could not figure out what the hell they were asking for.  I'm still not 100% sure but I clicked into the requested appointment area and the regional VA has requested an appointment for me???  Under the area where they are requesting documents from someone else  below the due date and status (red dot) Needed there is this <VA Medical Facility> !!! Oh and the request for an appointment was dated today Oct 29, 2015.  And I guess they are going to schedule it real soon because the due date for those documents needed was listed as 11/30/2015.    Now this is all rather humorous considering there is no consideration for my time or availability given here!!!   SO I wonder what happens?  The local Va gets notice today and they just send out a letter to me with a scheduled appointment on it telling me to be there or screw your claim!!! (I know it will say I can reschedule AT THE EXPENSE OF DELAYING my claim) That's how they put it back on the Veteran.  "Well You're the one that cancelled and had to reschedule the appointment we made for you, If you had gone to that original appointment your claim would not have taken so long to settle"!!!  Ya right!!!!  

So more than likely I will get a letter in the mail next week telling me I have an appointment in a week.  And if that Appointment interferes with my life or any other appointments I might have scheduled in my life?  Well ain't life grand and just suck for you on that given day!.  Cancel your other appointments and your life for that day.  And just turn it over to the VA, after all it's only for maybe an hour, that of course does not include the travel time to and from that particular facility that you are assigned!!! Not to worry though it won't be that far as the pigeon flies!!!!  (LMFAO)  Thank you very much!!!

Am I bitching???  Sorry   Should be happy they have finally changed the status of this claim!!!  :wink:   

Ok Sorry Andyman73  you may have answered this already somewhere down the line, but with ADD and CRS I'm at a loss.  Where do I get a copy of my C-File?

:huh:

USAF-Vet,

Do you have your C-file?  You mentioned scary things in your STR,  just imagine what your C-file might hold!  I wish you all the best and more with your claims!

Semper Fi.

Andy

The Archives gave me everything from the day I enlisted (all clerical stuff) and medical records. Initially they only provided me with my Active duty and reserve documents so I went back and demanded my dependent records which they had to retrieve from my husbands SSN.

The scary thing for me is how much I do not remember so didn't ask for in this current claim. I knew I was having problems with "stress" while on Active duty but didn't remember being referred for stress management and my records notate that I was dealing with depression (another term was used). Back in the day, we didn't talk about mental health issues.

I have all of my original training records as well.  

Should be happy they have finally changed the status of this claim!!!  :wink:   

Happy your claim is moving.

Since mine was "Closed" we had to do an NOD, do a Congressional and have my DAV rep. send a strongly worded letter demanding I receive C&P exams that I was denied initially. I know mine was closed to make someone's processing time look better.   

Mine is sitting as "Under Review" and it will probably stay that way for another year or more from what the EBenefits Chat person told me.

I am dealing with the Oakland VARO which is notoriously bad - had 5 people terminated/retired last year for being whistle blowers.

Even though everyone is frustrated with the length of time it takes to complete claims, it does appear to me that most people are getting theirs finished pretty quickly compared to years past.