VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Disability for Depression?

Rate this question

jwesley

Question

So here it is going on 4 years since I was honorably discharged from the military. Since I have been out, I seem to hit these depressing slumps of missing the military, wishing I could go back in (unable to go back in on account of a medical issue), having adjustment issues to not having the structure in my life as well as I am always "military minded" about how I deal with stress, people, other issues. I expect everyone have the same mentality from my family to my friends. I was treated once for anger issues while in the military, but this depression crap has me completely off the wall at times. I lose control when people make simple mistakes as well as ask me what I consider to be simply self explainable question. Am I even able to explain this to a VA Counselor or psychiatrist and have it service connected? Any input or advice is welcome positive or negative it is appreciated.

I appreciate all the input guys, I have been seeing a counselor. I haven't submitted a claim or anything mainly trying to get treated for my heart and back pain... the back is service connected and I am in the midst of a 4 year long appeal for my AICD.

14 hours ago, jwesley said:

I appreciate all the input guys, I have been seeing a counselor. I haven't submitted a claim or anything mainly trying to get treated for my heart and back pain... the back is service connected and I am in the midst of a 4 year long appeal for my AICD.

Are you seeing a VA MH therapist, or one through your private insurance? Not that it makes a difference, for therapy.  Perhaps you can ask them if they think your MH issues stem from your service, or SCDs.  Unless you've already discussed it with them.  If they think, yes, then put in the claim.

Semper Fi.

On 11/4/2015 at 5:26 PM, KaylaC said:

You do not have to see a counselor to have your condition service connected. If you were treated for anything mental related in service, then just claim "mental condition" when you submit your claim. The VA will request your medical records but mental treatment may not be included, so make sure you specify where you were treated in case further development is required. If any trace of a mental disorder is found within your records, the VA will schedule you for an exam. A copy of this exam and all questions they will ask can be found on the VA's website, labeled as "DBQ" or "Disability Benefits Questionnaire". They will usually ask the examining physician to provide a medical opinion as to whether or not they believe your mental condition is related to service. You can even have a personal psychiatrist/psychologist complete this questionnaire, HOWEVER, they should also specify if the condition is related to your military service. 

All mental conditions, to include PTSD, have the same symptoms listed on the exams (which is a major part of how your rating % is determined). So, it won't matter if the physician states you have depression, anxiety, or some other condition. By claiming "mental condition" you are preventing the VA from being "black and white" and potentially denying the claim based on lack of a specific diagnosis of depression within your records.

Claims with 1 or 2 disabilities only will also be processed faster, in most cases.

i got service connected for depression/anxiety and have never formally spoken to a va counselor.

On 11/4/2015 at 5:52 PM, pete992 said:

What you will need is some type of medical opinion and medical rationale from a VA psychiatrist or psychologist. You can start by going to your local VA clinic and speak to a VA social worker which will also help. Keep on mind that to get service connected you will need 1. An in service condition. 2. A current condition/diagnosis/disability and 3. A medical nexus that links 1. and 2. together. Depending on your symptoms the VA psyche must say that they have reviewed your medical records both SMRs and post service medical records and it is their medical opinion that your current symptoms are at least likely as not related to your military service.

a va psychologist did that during my c&p exam.

Guys I hate to dig up an old thread, but you're all hitting on a topic that would greatly assist me.  I am having a problem getting a diagnosis.  

Sounds stupid, and it is, but I have been getting treatment for Bipolar Disorder for 5 years now from the V.A., and most recently a psychologist ordered PTSD computer based therapy.. but my psychiatrists and psychologists all keep saying the same bull:  Well I'm not saying you have bipolar or PTSD, but I can go ahead and treat you for those conditions, and if you get better then we'll know it was bipolar or PTSD

I'm getting worse and so fed up with the V.A. that I'm willing to pay cash for outside professionals to diagnose me and get it in writing that my conditions are service connected.  I shouldn't have to do that!  

How do I go about wringing the V.A.'s arm to get adequate diagnosis instead of a bunch of bought-out doctors saying that they don't diagnose?

TIA

Edited by Cliche Magnet

On Thursday, November 05, 2015 at 4:20 PM, broncovet said:

Kayla/J Wesley:  

This Veteran will need 3 things before SC will be granted:  

1.  Current diagnosis of depression/PTSD

2.  In service event or stressor,

3   Nexus, or medical link between 1 and 2.  

Unfortuantely, the VA has decided they dont award PTSD without a diagnosis of PTSD BY A VA DOC.  

I do think you are correct you can apply for benefits without/before going to see the VA doc, but you wont be getting benefits until you do, at least for PTSD.  You could be SC for depression by seeing a non VA doc, but your medical records would need the three things above.  Importantly, your private physican may/may not be able to provide a nexus statement that VA accepts.  The nexus statment needs to be close to "The Veterans depression is at least as likely as not due to xxx event while in the military, and then the doc must give a "medical rationale" as to why the doctors makes this opinion/conclusion.  VA docs are familiar with how to write a VA nexus (even tho some dont like to do that), but private docs are much less familiar on how to help you get SC for depression, even tho they may be on board to help you.  

If your doctor makes a stametent like, "This veterans depression could be caused by xx event in military service", this is a deal killer statement.  VA considers "could" or "might" as speculative.  It has to be in the format of "at least as likely as not", or similar, at a minimum, for service connection.

Remember, VA compensates you for "symptoms" of mental health disorders, not "diagnosis" of the disorder.  And, if your condition is asymptomatic, you wont get any compensation for it. 

From a practical standpoint, you should seek both treatment and compensation at the same time.  You should also be seen for a VA doc to evaluate/rule out/ diagnose PTSD, and only a VA doc can do that, at least as far as VA compensation for PTSD is concerned.  

To add my two cents. Yes, absolutely, go get help.

THAT, is the most important thing you should do right now, not next week, not next month, NOW