VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression as secondary

Rate this question

Andyman73

Question

Hello all,

I got a phone call at the end of work yesterday afternoon, can I come down for a C&P exam on Tuesday, the 3rd of November...what is this for...my claim for depression, yes I will be there.

Anyone go through an exam for depression as secondary to chronic pain?  Or even just depression, that can give me some pointers?  What should I not mention, besides life before my service? How much detail should I give?  Should I mention my night sweats, and nightmares along with my chronic sleep impairment?  How long will this type of exam take? 1 hour, 2 hours, or longer?

Semper Fi.

Andyman.

Many SC conditions contribute to Depression. As long as there isn't medical evidence indicating Severe Depression DX'd years before any of your SC's were DX'd, an SC Secondary rating shouldn't be a huge problem. Even if you had a DX'd Depression condition that wasn't SC from years ago, your current SC's could cause an SC rating due to Aggravation of the non SC Depression.

While at your C&P Exam, if your not normally a Smiley Face, don't put one on. Be honest and answer all the Dr's questions, don't sugar coat your answers. This is not the occasion to put on the Brave Face. Tell him about your worst days, not the occasional good one.

Check out the VA DBQ for Depression, complete it and see how it compares with the 38 CFR 4 rating schedule. A week or so after the C & P, you should be able to get a copy of the C&P DBQ from your MHV account's Clinician Progress Notes.

Semper Fi

Gastone,

I only have one MH DX, and that was from a few months ago, by my VA MH doc.  And I first injured myself on day 5 of boot camp.  3 of my first 4 SCs are for pain related SCDs, low back pain, residual pain from ankle injury, and bilateral knee pain syndrome.  That should have me covered for chronic pain.  I just got SC for a bilateral foot condition that began during my last year on AD.  And I've been on prescribed NSAIDs since day one as well, 23 years now. 

I made the mistake a long time ago by trying to be "happy", so, yah, I understand that advice.  I printed out the DBQ for depression and some of the things on there I'm not sure how to answer.  But I did look at the chart posted above, and some of my symptoms are in the 70% section.

Semper Fi.

Andyman

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I FORGOT!

Gather all the pain medications you have been given, especially look at the ones that you have been on for a long time.  Look through the manufacturers list of side effects.  You can always get the original manufacturers in depth testing and analysis sheet, i really like drugs.com for this.  see if depression is listed as a side efffect, doesnt have to be common, it can be rare as well, etc.

For instance Naproxen (aleve) has depression listed as a "rare" side effect.  If all or most of your medications have this listed go to the National institute for Health and look it up. print it out and highlight those sections and include it in your evidence listing.  https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a681029.html

This is a U.S. Govt website so the VA cant really haggle with the "well this is just one opinion" sort of thing.  So go and get those, the VA could NON SC compensate you for this as a side effect of your medications.

I would also gather medical journal (from reputable journals not the newer ones that get paid to print) articles that connect pain to depression, and any that connect your medications to sustained depression.

I was given Naproxen for treatment of my SC pain over the period of years. I can tell you that it did a number on my digestive tract and resulted in severe GERD. I filed for GERD, they did an upper GI, and I won. It's not always the most obvious conditions that can be SC as secondary.

My brother just went through the whole Naproxen thing, doc told him to cut out 75% of spicy food from his diet.  He's totally bummed by that.  I will tell him he needs to file that as secondary for his SCDs.  He's 90 paid at 100 for UI.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Cut out the spicy food? Noooooo! Just tell them to give him better meds! :ph34r:

On the quick over view of the above chart(thanks USMC_VET!) It looks like I would fall squarely in the 50, with a few in the 70% range.  Should I take some notes along to ensure I cover some issues, or no?  How much detail do I give about my sleep issues, or suicide ideation, and so on?

When I asked my MH therapist about the chronic pain connection he was quite vocal about it, saying that chronic pain most definitely leads to and or worsens depression.  And he does have me DXd with MDD, reoccurring.  I've been dealing with pain since late 1992, would that qualify as chronic?  I believe 2 of my SCDs are actually listed with pain in the terminology.

Also, how long should I expect to be in the exam, I've got nothing else going on that day, just curious, is all.

Thanks, guys,

Semper Fi.

Andyman

my depression c&p was about an hour and covered everything from soup to nut. expect to be asked some very personal questions about your life, growing up and so forth!