VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The True Meaning Of Brotherhood

Rate this question

betrayed

Question

A few weeks ago while in HIOT THerapy I lost it and walked out of the room. None of the staff came to see if I was ok. A brother vet came out to check on me and we walked the halls of the hospital and talked. I ended up back in the pysch ward that day, he came and visited me while I was in there.

The other day at the hospital I was standing looking at some hats they had for sale and I feel a tap on my shoulder, I turn around and the guy says remember me I said hell yes (He was in the pysch ward both times I was in there, I think he tried to commit suicide) Anyway he said get me to a doctor. He was all wet, he looked like someone had punched him in the eye, he had sticks and brush sticking out of his clothes. I asked him what happened he told me he had jumped out of his wifes car and somehow went into the huron river. He said he had spent the last three hours hiding in someones back yard.

I walked him to the emergency room and told the nurse I had been on 8west (pysch ward) with this patient recentlly and then told the nurse what he told me, they immediatley took him, and I said I would be back to check on him. By the time I had finished all my business in the hospital I went back to the ER and they told me he had been admitted. I went up to the pysch ward and checked on him, This ment the world to him.

It struck me afterwards that it was a vet who helped me and I was a vet helping this guy, not the hospital staff and that all we (vets) can depend on is each other, so next time you see a brother vet and he is down say high to him, it could mean allot to him even the difference between life and death.

Back to the brother who helped me, we have a bond stronger than any I have had in a long time. I will never forget him and he will never forget me. And when he graduates from HIOT I will be there with a gift for him.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder
It struck me afterwards that it was a vet who helped me and I was a vet helping this guy, not the hospital staff and that all we (vets) can depend on is each other, so next time you see a brother vet and he is down say high to him, it could mean allot to him even the difference between life and death.

Just wanted all of the Had-it members to know that you guys have been so much help to me. I am not sure that I have ever said Thanks!!

There are times, that I have been so low, that I ponder at that bottle of pills, but I come to this site and there you all are!!

Thanks so much,

Josephine

• Founder
A few weeks ago while in HIOT THerapy I lost it and walked out of the room. None of the staff came to see if I was ok. A brother vet came out to check on me and we walked the halls of the hospital and talked. I ended up back in the pysch ward that day, he came and visited me while I was in there.

The other day at the hospital I was standing looking at some hats they had for sale and I feel a tap on my shoulder, I turn around and the guy says remember me I said hell yes (He was in the pysch ward both times I was in there, I think he tried to commit suicide) Anyway he said get me to a doctor. He was all wet, he looked like someone had punched him in the eye, he had sticks and brush sticking out of his clothes. I asked him what happened he told me he had jumped out of his wifes car and somehow went into the huron river. He said he had spent the last three hours hiding in someones back yard.

I walked him to the emergency room and told the nurse I had been on 8west (pysch ward) with this patient recentlly and then told the nurse what he told me, they immediatley took him, and I said I would be back to check on him. By the time I had finished all my business in the hospital I went back to the ER and they told me he had been admitted. I went up to the pysch ward and checked on him, This ment the world to him.

Back to the brother who helped me, we have a bond stronger than any I have had in a long time. I will never forget him and he will never forget me. And when he graduates from HIOT I will be there with a gift for him.

this is how it was for me, it was my brother or sister veterans who seemed to really care if i made it or not, even when i didn't care, they still did

i was completely accepted and always received some help from another veteran, even if he just shared his last smoke with me. the ptsd combat veterans were very kind to me and really helped me to understand and deal with things that were very confusing for me. they jut seem to accept me as one of their own.

being there for each other is when we are at our best. and it is amazing how we can rise to the occassion to assist a comrade.

i'll share a personal story with you. let's just say 1991 i walked in the land of the dead, everything was black and i could only feel two things nothing or excruating pain. it was bad and i eventually got into a group. a pretty good group of mostly men and boy did they help me out. and i knew then that if i was called that i must answer, i got that call about 11pm one night from a male veteran in my group. i said i'm coming to get you, i pushed everybit of fear out of my way to get out that door and get to that man, once i met up with him we did a gun and med check and removed all those items to a safe place. i then drove him to my house because he was to freaked out to go the emergency rooom. we sat in the dark in my tiny roach infested little studio and talked and smoked and he would drift in and out from my studio to far away places, to very dark and ugly places and then he would drift back i simple sat with him i think i kept him grounded. i lay next to him while he slept that night. his eyes would open startled frightened and close again on and off and finally he slept some solid sleep. i got up and drove him back him just as he requested, that was a very special night to me, what he shared with me was precious, his very precious pain that for that night he just needed a sister to help him hold it and so i did.