VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anyone been rated for Pancreatitis?

Rate this question

garion

Question

From my C&P exam, it looks like I fall under the 100% for Pancreatitis.  I also have Anemia and Diabetes.  Have anyone on the board been rated for Pancreatitis? 

Does the Veteran have any of the following symptoms attributable to any pancreas conditions or residuals of treatment for pancreas conditions?
[X] Yes [ ] No If yes, check all that apply:
[X] Abdominal pain, confirmed as resulting from pancreatitis by appropriate laboratory and clinical studies If checked,
indicate severity and frequency of attacks (check all that apply):
[X] Severe (disabling)
Indicate number of attacks of Severe (disabling) abdominal pain in the past 12 months:
[ ] 0 [ ] 1 [ ] 2 [ ] 3 [ ] 4 [ ] 5 [ ] 6 [ ] 7 [X] 8 or more
[X] Other symptoms, describe:
Veteran states he awakens at night he awaken and loses his bowel(defication) .
b. Does the Veteran have any of the following signs or findings attributable to any pancreas conditions or residuals of treatment for pancreas conditions?
[X] Yes [ ] No If yes, check all that apply:
[X] Steatorrhea
If checked, describe frequency and severity:
Veteran states greacy foul smelling stools 3 times per week.
[X] Diarrhea
If checked, describe frequency and severity:
Veteran states has loose and watery diarrhea.
Veteran states his last severe episode was 4 days ago.

Below is the Criteria for 100%...

Pancreatitis, total pancreatectomy, and partial pancreatectomy: With all of the following ..... 100%
Daily or near-daily debilitating attacks of pancreatitis with few pain-free intermissions;
Two or more signs of pancreatic insufficiency (such as steatorrhea, diabetes, malabsorption, diarrhea, and malnutrition); and Unresponsive to medical treatment.

~With the following .. 60%
Seven or more documented attacks of pancreatitis per year with at least one sign of pancreatic insufficiency (such as steatorrhea, diabetes, malabsorption, diarrhea, or malnutrition) between acute attacks.

~With any of the following .. 30%
Three to six documented attacks of pancreatitis per year with at least one sign of pancreatic insufficiency (such as steatorrhea, diabetes, malabsorption, diarrhea, or malnutrition) between acute attacks;

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I haven't, but I will try to help.

The wording on the 100% part seems a little wierd because of this part "Pancreatitis, total pancreatectomy, and partial pancreatectomy". I don't see how someone can have a total and partial removal of the pancreas at the same time. It might be an accident. Having two signs of pancreatic insufficiency could qualify you for 100%, but the only things missing in the DBQ write up you posted is the "...and unresponsive to treatment" part. Keep in mind that the DBQ's were written to help provide a good picture of a disability at time of examination, but they might not always have every rating criteria question perfectly explained. If the unresponsive statement is documented elsewhere, I recommend you make sure that it is included in the evidence you submitted.

Also, if you do get rated at 100%, consider filing for SSDI (if you haven't already) and also for any rate-able conditions which might be possible to SC as secondary to the pancreatitis and/or the medications used to treat it. If you can get additional %'s to total 60% or are unable to leave home for work (not telecommute either) due to pancreatitis, consider filing for SMC-S.

Good luck! I'm sure someone else will come and add to this or correct it.

I haven't, but I will try to help.

The wording on the 100% part seems a little wierd because of this part "Pancreatitis, total pancreatectomy, and partial pancreatectomy". I don't see how someone can have a total and partial removal of the pancreas at the same time. It might be an accident. Having two signs of pancreatic insufficiency could qualify you for 100%, but the only things missing in the DBQ write up you posted is the "...and unresponsive to treatment" part. Keep in mind that the DBQ's were written to help provide a good picture of a disability at time of examination, but they might not always have every rating criteria question perfectly explained. If the unresponsive statement is documented elsewhere, I recommend you make sure that it is included in the evidence you submitted.

Also, if you do get rated at 100%, consider filing for SSDI (if you haven't already) and also for any rate-able conditions which might be possible to SC as secondary to the pancreatitis and/or the medications used to treat it. If you can get additional %'s to total 60% or are unable to leave home for work (not telecommute either) due to pancreatitis, consider filing for SMC-S.

Good luck! I'm sure someone else will come and add to this or correct it.

Thanks for your response, Vync! I think they mean they are rating on Pancreatitis, Total pancreatectomy and Partial pancretectomy...  I am guessing they recognize them as different forms/degrees of pancreatitis.  

They have been giving me all kind of medicines to try to get my Pancreatitis in control.  They keep increasing my medications and adding new ones.  I have been on 5 different medication so far. 

Below is the C&P remark.

8. Remarks, if any
    ------------------
       1. Veteran's current claimed and diagnosed GI symptoms is at least as
       likely as not (50 percent or greater probability)a continuation and/or progression of
       the Veteran's already service connected Chronic Cholecystitis, S/P
       Cholecystectomy with Acid Reflux.

2. C&P Recommendation:
       Veteran's previous documented abnornomal clinical findings were discussed
       with Veteran.  Veteran is advised to follow-up with his primary medical provider for
       evaluation and treatment of his ongoing and chronic GI symptoms.  

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

The way the VA reads the ratings can be pretty odd due to the semicolons, and's, and or's. Usually they indicate the possibility of multiple criteria or an inclusion of certain required combinations of criteria. If you want a good example, go look at the MH ratings. :)

On the bright side, the 50 percent or greater is a big hurdle just just jumped over. I hope you get the 100% rating. Crossing my fingers for you.

Thanks Vync!  I went and got a better understanding of how they rate Pancreatitis.  The reason they did multiple criteria is because if you had a Total or Partial Pancreatectomy, the minimum the VA can rate you is at 30%. 

Read below.  It explain things better with the rating.

7347    Pancreatitis:

With frequently recurrent disabling attacks of abdominal pain with few

pain free intermissions and with steatorrhea, malabsorption, diarrhea

and severe malnutrition........................................................................................ 100

With frequent attacks of abdominal pain, loss of normal body weight

and other findings showing continuing pancreatic insufficiency

between acute attacks........................................................................................... 60

Moderately severe; with at least 4-7 typical attacks of abdominal pain

per year with good remission between attacks....................................................... 30

With at least one recurring attack of typical severe abdominal pain

in the past year..................................................................................................... 10

Note 1: Abdominal pain in this condition must be confirmed as resulting from pancreatitis by appropriate laboratory and clinical studies.

Note 2: Following total or partial pancreatectomy, rate under above, symptoms, minimum rating 30 percent.

OK so I had pancreatectomy in 2003 due to an impacted goldstone 2/3 of my  Pancreas was removed I am type one diabetes with very large scars continued diarrhea stomach problems Constant back and shoulder pain I recently received a Nexus letter from my  endocrinologist related to my service in the gulf war.  Any suggestions or advice from anyone

Hi - just a question... if you are Type One Diabetic how did you get into the military? 

Type Two is Adult Onset, Type one is Juvenile Onset..... (I was a  Navy Recruiter....) 

Here is a link for the symptoms-

Which you already know all too well since this is a very painful condition. Prayers your way!  https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/pancreatitis/symptoms-causes/syc-20360227

I believe that one of the ways they could give you a lower rating is...( devil's advocate here).....  the VA links the diagnosis to malingering behavior ( ie: drinking) which is listed as the main cause for this diagnosis. 

Just my opinion....