• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  
zuluvictor81

Male Mst

Question

I have a few questions that I hope this site can answer.

Back in 2000 I joined the army national guard and was sent to AIT while there and living in the barracks we had what i guess is called hazing going on. I was the new guy who already had a unit patch, rank and a list of ribbons so i was already out of place in the barracks. At first stupid stuff like being called a FNG or a NUG and lifting my bunk off the ground while i was in it and slamming it to the ground, or a tossed bunk or my lock pooped and my locker tossed. Yes it pissed me off but nothing worth crying to the drill sergeants about.

After a few weeks a couple of my class mates where standing around and laughing looking at pictures and one calls me over and ask me if i knew what Tea Bagging was i honestly had no clue and said making a cup of tea. Then the kids shows me a Polaroid picture of me asleep in my bunk and another male placing his private parts on my face. I was told that this had happened many times. I went down to the office and proceeded to inform our Senior drill sergeant/acting first sergeant who tell me he will look into it. I leave think of i reported shit is going to hit the fan. Instead the Senior Drill sergeant came upstairs into our bay and tells everyone to gather round. I was thinking her we go.. Instead he yells out that he understands some teas bagging on going on and that it was just gay to let another man put his bare nuts on your face and that he better not see any of that stuff going on.

I was shocked and freaking out because I am not gay never was and never will be. After this i began getting threatened and call a blue falcon i was woken up one night to chem light being poured in my mouth and other night having actual pubic hair sprinkled over my face. Other times buckets of water would be thrown onto me in my bunk i was to hyper vigilant that if they could not get close enough to me to mess with me they would throw boots or other objects at me.

I called and talked to my home unit PSNCO and told him what was going on and refereed me to contact our home SGM in charge of all training which i did. He told me to avoid them and he was making some calls. The next day i got called over to the base national Guard liaison SGM who proceeded to yell at me to suck it up and stop whining and that if i was such a xxxxx i never should have joined the Army. Again i reported it and WTF is going on.  I left and called my home SGM and told him what had happened and he just said WTF and told me to keep my head down and avoid them at all cost that there was not much he could do from where he was.

In the middle of all this i had slipped on some heavy ice and went down a flight of stairs and was on a profile and going through rehab for my knee and lower back. One mourning i got my Sick call slip signed before the battalion went on there run at 0400. The rule was no one is allowed up in the barracks during PT period which meant i had to go into the day room until my scheduled therapy time. I was the only on a profile at the time so it was just me. I screwed up and fell asleep and over slept (at this time i was barley sleeping so i crashed hard.) I woke up and saw the time was 0800 and freaked out ran up stairs changed uniforms and caught a cab to school. A few hours later one of our Drill Sergeants came and pulled me out of class and asked me why i missed my rehab appointment and i told him the truth. The next day at lunch time i was called into the office where the SR DS handed me a counseling statement and saying that i had forged a sick call slip to get out of PT. I said i never forged a slip and he said that i had filled out a slip and had them sign it and that i did not use the slip for it intended purpose and i was getting a AR15 i asked to see JAG and was told i would be taken within 3 days.

3 days went by and i asked one of the DS when i would be going to JAG and was told opps we forgot to schedule you. That afternoon i was called over to the SGM NGB Liaisons office again. Where he proceeded to yell at me for getting into trouble and pulled out another counseling statement and began writing that i had supposedly gotten 3 AR15's and that he was chaptering me out on a chapter 14. I said that i had not even received 1 yet that the only thing i got in trouble for i have not seen JAG for so 3 was impossible. At this point tons of yelling lots of curse words and a demand to shut the hell up and just sign the document i once again asked to see JAG and was told i would be scheduled.

A few more days go by and i get called into the commanders office where he wants me to sign my chapter papers and i once again say i have not even seen JAG yet. He tells me it does not matter i am just being sent back to my unit with a Under Honorable Conditions and that as long as i do not get into any more trouble for 6 months it will convert to full Honorable. I get back to my unit and they place me on none reporting status and tell me to go to the VA for MH and to finish rehabbing my knee and back. I got turned away from the VA with them telling me that they had not received my medical files and that i did not have enough concurrent active duty time to qualify for services. I tell my unit and they hook me up with a civilian doc who ended up doing surgery on my knee less then a year later.

During my recovery after surgery i get a letter in the mail that i was discharged from the National Guard and in the signature box just said soldier not available. I called my unit and they were just as shocked as i was and said that there was nothing they could do about it now. Years have gone by and i was diagnosed with severe anxiety and PTSD. This is the tricky part the Doctor who diagnosed me was a civilian i saw at his private practice but he also worked full time at a VA CBOC.  I honestly tried to live in denial of what happend and began drinking and did some dumb things and that is all on me. I hit pretty low and began seeing a shrink who helped me quite drinking and helped me with some coping tools like caring a calendar around so i would stop forgetting stuff.

About a year my counselor who was also a vet told me to apply to the VA for PTSD and i told him that i had tried back in 2002 and was denied because they could not locate any of my medical files or service files. I was told by a bunch of VFW guys that because i did not complete the training that i would never get approved anyway that i was technical never a soldier. MY counselor told me things have changed and to file again. So i did on my own we don't have and VSO's out where i live and they only come through once a month and they only alot 30 mins for you anyway.

I am embarrassed that what happened to me did. I was supposed to be a soldier and stronger then that a defender to the weak how was i so weak that it happened to me. I chocked up my fear and filled out the 781 and sent it in. I submitted all my doctors and just last week got a letter in the mail telling me that what i wrote on my 781 was not enough they needed more. Also calling the 800 number they still can not find my medical file so that's a major problem. So i sit down a write out a 7 page explanation of before during and after and resubmit it.

Can someone please tell me how this will work out and if denied then what. I was told that if they can not find proof they will not even give me a comp and penn appoint and just deny me. I do not know if i am strong enough to do a appeal and have to go tell my story in a court room... Can some please walk me through this process and help turn the crazy down in my brain a little bit please?

Do you have any records of your active duty service?  I kept paperwork for the longest time after I got out.

When you were referred to the outside MD for knee issues, did you get any bills, did the NG pay for anything, do you have records?

Go to the unit you were in, get copies of everything they have.

If you were hurt during training, you should be covered.  The NG unit you were with should have records of that, the medical records would be part of the National Guard files.

Thats part of the problem a few years ago they moved the medical record file center to a supposed more secure location and lost about a 2/3rd of my files. I have proof of service and submitted it several times over the years but they couldn't verify them even though the DOD acknowledged my service the VA would not... We have over come that hurdle because now the VA admits to my service but still can not find treatment records not even my entrance physical.

Actually i always assumed the Guard payed the bill for my knee since i never got one but they say no they did not... Either way the doctor who worked on my knee retired back in 2004 and closed the office and i cant find any way to get those records because of it... the best i can hope for is i did find at my old unit 2 pages out of 7 of my out physical from active duty that mentions my knee and lacerations/scars on my face which were from that injury. so i am hoping that if i get a comp and penn they can see the scars on my knee from the surgery and infer that it did happen...

Edited by zuluvictor81

This NARA link says to contact the Adjutant General in your state for NG medical records:

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/locations/

Male on Male MST (the "other" MST)  is the "not talked about" sexual harassment where the cover up goes all the way up to the president.  I experienced it, too, tho I wont go into the details at this time but I am very pleased you did.  IMHO its worse, much worse than Male on Female Sexual harassment, because its universally regarded as a "joke".   While I was in the females were treated with respect and dignity, it was the men who were harassed by other men.   One word from the female about an unwanted "look" and the world would come tumbling down, while a much worse sexual harassment from same sex was viewed as "boys will be boys".  

One guy who was kicked out for being a homosexual was named "Mike".  His "friend"/partner was "George".  George was always getting large "gifts" from others in the military, it was well known that some unidentified people paid George's rent for him.  So why did "Mike" get kicked out of the military when "George" did not, and they were "partners" even tho George was a promiscuous homosexual?  It was a "rumor" that George did not deny that George was a male prostitute, and I think he had "friends" in "high" places.   This sex scandal was a big distraction for most of us, kept tightly under cover, but that everyone knew about. 

I think that "Mike" was the fall guy, and George continued his "business" after Mike was kicked out.  Mike got what he wanted, he did not want to be in the military.   The military was a very different place.  We did not have a volunteer military, there was a draft.  This meant many did not want to be there.  Like the classic "Klinger" on mash, either "faking" or "revealing"  homosexuality was seen as a good way to get out of the military, and many wanted out, some wanted out very badly. 

Edited by broncovet
  • Like 1

Berta Thank you for the information but i have already been through every channel and every request and FOIA 5 times. I have went through the NGB unit records both old and new locatons to include a talk with the IG that revealed that during the move they lost considerably more records they they admitted to ... not just mine many other soldiers as well. I have been through NPRC who swears the VA has them... The VA swears they do not and have gotten pissy with me more then once because i hit them with papers to force them to search there record rooms more then once. I have forced records searches at the base i was at and they swear they sent them to the VA.

The one VSO i talked to years ago in another state told me the biggest problem i am running into is the VA does not want to admit they "Lost my records" because everything becomes presumptive in the laws eyes and they don't want that. i dont know how true that is.