VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Does the VA prescribe LYRICA?

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

63SIERRA

I don't think the prescribe Lyrica but an Equivalent  so many meds out there  that are used for the same thing but differently tolerated by each individual.

the way my PCP is if it don't work  she will try something else  were all ginny Pigs ya know. 

...........Buck

Buck, it's true, it's true that we (veterans) are all Ginny Pigs.  What really gets under my skin is that every now and then either my rheumatologist or my neurologist or my psychiatrist has to rotate and I get some kid come in and review my VAMC records for about ten (10) minutes and then sees me for an appointment and suggest that since my medications are not working they would like to try something new or something that is better for me (one pill that will replace two pills).  Stop, I realized the last time they did that with the Cymbalta and I paid the price with a nice week in the hospital vomiting up my guts and with an IV stuck in my arm due to dehydration.

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with ya pete992,

its happen to me many times..so I got to where I just say ''well I'd rather just keep on taking what I been taking at least until my Regular Dr comes back...but thank you anyway.

now if your regular Dr don't come back  it all starts all over....and that's happen to me  and they got my meds all screwed up.

so keep track of your meds and keep in a safe place  write them down  luckily for me that's how the New Dr got my meds back on track.

.........Buck

When I went in to see a VA Doc for an initial apt, he told me to stay with my Tricare AD Doc, mainly bc of all the paperwork and 'hassle' it would be for him to get my Lyrica filled bc other drugs (all I have already taken with no where near the same amount of relief) are much cheaper.  Basically, they CAN prescribe Lyrica, but they make it a PITA for the Docs to get it filled, making it an uphill battle to get it.  Expect roadblocks, but you can get it done.

You just need your PC or in my case, my VA Neurologist that had issued the Gabapentin RX to right an RX for Pregabalin, indicating a problem with the former RX. Had my Lyrica within 2 weeks, now going on 21/2 yrs. It does work better on my PN than the Gabapentin did.

An interesting side note. My VMC just started offering alternative Pain management by way of Acupuncture and Essential Oil mixtures. Had my 1st Acupuncture treatment yesterday, really surprised at the relief provided by 7 needles between the toes of both feet and 3 placements in the right ear lobe. The relief is still noticeable as of 330pm. Another session scheduled for 2 weeks.

As to the "essential Oils" therapy. I started using a mixture purchased from a Non VA Podiatrist since about 05/15. Really seemed to work at night after messaging into my feet. Seemed to actually take more of the edge off the pain than the Lyrica. Only issue was the $30.00 per month for the small roll on bottle. Dr would only tell me it was his Propitiatory blend of 12 or so Essential oils. 2 weeks ago, I made my 1st contact with the VA Clinicians providing the Aroma Therapy and Essential Oil Mixtures at my VMC. She blended about 4 oils along with a carrier oil, documented my VMC Clinician notes and I was good to go. Refills available with a phone call. I have to say, it seems to work as well as the Dr provided oils. May work for you, certainly can't hurt.

Semper Fi