VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Backpay and Monthly Comp After BVA Grant

Rate this question

bnthornton

Question

My husband, also a Vet, recently had a BVA appeal for increased major depressive disorder and TDIU. The BVA granted the MDD increase to 70% from the initial rating through the entire rating period and remanded the TDIU back to the RO for consideration with the new MDD rating.

This increase to 70% for his MDD now puts him at 100% total rating and will be getting backpay to 2009. We know that it can take forever for the backpay to process, especially considering how large of a sum it will be so while we're hoping for it to be on the shorter side of time, we are not holding our breath.

Our question is this: could he start getting his increased monthly comp amount before the backpay hits or do they always process both at the same time so we'll likely either see the backpay first or at the same time?

Thanks!

Well, no pay increase today. :( But, we did call the VA to ask what the system is saying and it went from "processing" the last time we called to "being finalized for notification" so I'm going to just pretend that means something is happening on it. Ha!

Not to be a downer, but my ebenefits has been saying "preparation for decision" for going on a couple months now. I have no reason to believe it'll change for at least the next 6 months.

Try to find something to occupy your time. You'll drive yourself nuts with waiting and burning holes in the computer screen. It'll come!

Edited by Sgt. Wilky

It takes as long as they want it to. My BVA decision was handed down and delivered to my mailbox October 16th, 2015 (after an 8 year appeals process). I've yet to see any back pay from the 3 grants (which is high 5 figures), any movement on the remand, or any movement whatsoever on my claim. I'm nearing the 60 day mark on the 16th.

Plan on it taking months.

Semper Fi!

Sgt. Wilky

Well, no pay increase today. :( But, we did call the VA to ask what the system is saying and it went from "processing" the last time we called to "being finalized for notification" so I'm going to just pretend that means something is happening on it. Ha!

Funny you mention that. I logged into ebenefits for the last check of the day, and I went from 30% to 60%! They granted SC for PTSD at 50% which I'm pleased with!!

No pending deposit (I can see ACH pending deposits) yet, but it just got updated within the last few hours. I expect the back pay for that increase to be within a couple weeks.

Still waiting on the BVA appeal grants to be implemented! So glad this is nearing an end!! Keep fighting!!

Semper Fi!

Sgt. Wilky

Funny you mention that. I logged into ebenefits for the last check of the day, and I went from 30% to 60%! They granted SC for PTSD at 50% which I'm pleased with!!

No pending deposit (I can see ACH pending deposits) yet, but it just got updated within the last few hours. I expect the back pay for that increase to be within a couple weeks.

Still waiting on the BVA appeal grants to be implemented! So glad this is nearing an end!! Keep fighting!!

Semper Fi!

Sgt. Wilky

Ha! Nice and congrats on the forward movement!! You're so close to the end now....just waiting for that good ol' CASH MONEY! :P