VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Student Loans Discharged!

Rate this topic

seejeremy

Hi everyone.  I checked the status on my student loan discharge application on Friday and saw that they were approved for permanent discharge.  I checked one lender's website today and it already reflects a zero balance!  I'm just waiting on the other lender to process the discharge, but me and the wife are really happy about this news.  Thanks for the information, because I thought I had to be P&T to get this approved.  That was not the case at all!  Thanks everyone.

Sure.  The website is https://www.disabilitydischarge.com/home/

All I did was fill out the application on this site and then mailed it, plus my letter from E-Benefits indicating 100% to the address provided.  It took about 6 weeks for me to get approved. I'm still waiting on all of the loans to reflect this, but I received written notification from Nelnet today indicating approval.  It was a painless process applying and getting approved.

• 3 weeks later...

Seejeremy,

Thanks for the information!  I stumbled upon this prior to reading your post and sent my application in about 3 weeks ago.  Let's see what happens.  I'm 100% P&T.   I think this benefit is not advertised very much on this blog as I assume many Veterans do not have student loans.  By the way go Navy and Roll Tide! I'm from Birmingham, AL. 

Edited by Big Country
corrections

Yes, a student loan discharge can be good evidence for P & T.

In 1993 a VA doctor signed a Student Loan waiver for my husband regarding his NSC stroke, checking the form that it was P & T.

It only took VA 20 years to determine that the stroke was not only 100% P & T but also ratable as if SC, under Section 1151.

(Successful CUE claim on that awarded in 2013)

I had additional evidence to prove the 100% P & T and 1151 factor and the stroke was a contributing factor to his untimely death, but these student waivers should never be overlooked as good evidence of 100% P & T, if they solely regard either a SC disability, a sole Sec 1151 disability, or a sole NSC disability that is proven to be SC.

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use