VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression Claim? Anyone Have A Cliam For This Or Rating?

Rate this question

newbe

Question

hi all,

wondering if any of you have a rating for depression? what is the percent?

dav recently put in a claim for me on depression. i'm wondering if any of you have experience with this type of claim. can you give me some advice on how to go about the claim.

i've been diagnosed with it , several times at that. and have taken medication for it.

thanks any help is appreciated.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Hi, sorry you are dealing with depression. I put a claim in for depression, well actually the rating came back as "Service connection for generalized anxiety disorder with depressive disorder is granted with an evaluation of 30%." I had lots of medical records from when I was in the service stating that's when it started and that's when I started taking meds. I have been seen consantly by a Dr. for it from when I was in till present and medical records showed I have been on meds that long too. When I saw the VA dr at QTC I was honest and just was myself, I didn't exaggerate or anything and the truth came out. I never reccommend trying to act more "crazy" them you are thinking that might help, I think they can see through it. I hope you get the rating you deserve. Oh and it took over a year to get the rating. Good luck B)

Sgt Eve -you did good on this award-over a year for a decision like this isnt bad at all-

and of course you can always claim higher rating-

This 2006 BVA case might help the newbe as it contains the rating criteria they use:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp06/files2/0603593.txt

Newbe- service connection depends on current diagnosed disability and a clear medical nexus (link) to your service.

Now is the time to get a copy of all of your treatment records and your Service medical records.

I first filed for depression in 1975.

The AL filed the claim & requested a copy of my service records from the RO. Never did see any SMR's or hear anymore about it. Filed again in the 90's. Don't think they ever bothered to process that one either.

I just sent in a claim for depression. I have a few Dr notes from in service about it and I saw a couselor for about 6 months in service but was never put on meds because I would have been grounded from flight status. I got out a year ago and have not seen anyone about it. Even though its in my SMR's, Im not sure I will get a rating since I have not been seen about it since leaving service. Guess Ill just see what happens. I probably should have waited until I was able to see someone for it now and get diagnosed. Cant change that now though.

Nathan- I would file this claim ASAP.

Didn't they brief you in outprocessing as to the imporatance of filing claims within a year after discharge?

Also the mil is supposed to encourage new vets to take a complete copy of their SMRs with them when they get discharged-

this is important because -when a claim is filed with the first year of discharge-and then granted- the EED retro date goes back to the very first day after service.

I think you should make sure you have the SMRs and this documentation to support the claim.

Claims have to have 3 major things-(the Hickson elements) for a proper resolve-in most cases-

Current diagnosed disability.

Inservice med recs etc to suuport inservice event or disability

Nexus to support the inservice event, illness, accident etc-

You have the Nexus in your SMRs- you need current diagnosed disability-

and some treatment records-

the VA just loves paper- they want proof that a disability is ratable as shown by continuous treatment and meds.

PS-I cant stress this point enough-

A vet called me this weekend upset with a anxiety disorder denial-

He says he is given some sort of anxiety med by his general practioner doctor.

and an anxiety diagnosis-

He has NO actual current treatment records at all-

He had a weak nexus and needs to find more support for that-

I gave him his unit web site for a possible buddy statement-

I am not familiar at all with his claim-

He was surely denied due to the fact that he cannot prove current and documented continuous treatment for anxiety-the meds alone won't do it---

I dont know how he could even get an IMO from this doctor-

worse yet -how can a doc prescribe meds but not treat the reason for the meds?

There might be something he has overlooked- dont have the whole story-

but this is a very important facet of any type of claim-

current and documented treatment of disability.

Edited by Berta