VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retroactive back pay

Rate this question

jbray

Question

Sorry if this question has already been asked and answered i could not find it if it has been.  My question is i just got my rating of 90% the other day.  they back payed me to the date the DAV appealed my case.  The original date was 10/2012 when they VA DENIED my original claim for the same exact thing minus tinnitus.  my question how can i make them back date my retroactive pay to my original claim date?

3 answers to this question

I'm not sure of your question, but I rated 90% earlier this year and the way mines retro pay ended up went back as far as 2010, but it (my claim) was for several different condition with different dates (2010) being the farthest back. Which got me a back pay right under six digits. So I guess I'll say (and this is only my opinion) according to my situation is that you should get retro pay the earliest claim applied.

Hope others will join in here. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Sorry if this question has already been asked and answered i could not find it if it has been.  My question is i just got my rating of 90% the other day.  they back payed me to the date the DAV appealed my case.  The original date was 10/2012 when they VA DENIED my original claim for the same exact thing minus tinnitus.  my question how can i make them back date my retroactive pay to my original claim date?

Did the VA appeal as your representative, or was the claim submitted for "reconsideration"? The difference may very well be back pay. Or, not too unusually, the VA screwed up again. (still, yet, even!)

You would have to carefully read the VA decision award paperwork to see what was actually done, and why the problem with retroactive pay may exist.

Edited by Chuck75