VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssd... Is Medical Exam A Must?

Rate this question

tdak

Question

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they have ever have gotten SSD without a medical exam from the state doctor?

I applied about 3 years ago and had to see a state appointed doctor.

Now that I re-applied, because of even more seriuos conditions, do I have to see a doctor again from the state or will they just go by my own doctors diagnosis'?

If so how long does this usually take. I don't remember it taking this long last time I applied. I know they tell you 120 day which is on my letter from them, but we all know that is onoly a number and not neccessarily an acurate timeframe.

Thanks in advance

Tamara

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Guest jangrin

My husband was just awarded SSD, eight months from start to finish. We got the letter from SSA that said, that after SS reviewed his medical records if they we not sufficient to make a ruling or determination they would request he be examined by a doctor who is familiar with the SSD requirements.

Needless to say they wanted the SSD doctors opinion. I have never heard of anyone who did not have to go to the SSD doctor for an exam. It was 5 months before he was given the appt. for SSD exam.

Jangrin

Edited by jangrin

Guest rickb54

I did not go to a SSD doctor at any time.

I supplied letters, Two from va doctors, one from army doctor, and one from civillian doctor.

I was awarded SSD by ALJ without a lawyer....

SSD has never seen my actual medical records

Yeah I got SSD without exam just VAMC records that I turned in. I also got it in a month and a half after filing. Yes I couldnt believe it either, It was because I had all the stuff in my VA records that they needed to determine it. I will say this though I was able to get the whole record that disability determinations uses to issue the SSD and I didnt like what I saw. In the record there were numerous comments from the person in the front of the office that I thought was a secretary that turned out to be one of their counselors that was trying desperately to get my case denied by writing emails to the doctors reviewing my case. I was lucky that the doctors didnt take heed to her crappy emails. (things like "he seemed fine when he came in. How could he be agoraphobic and come in here"?) stuff like that. Any way it is possible to do it. You just have to have all your paperwork in order with all the right things said by the doctors and a little luck.

What VA files did you give them. All I have is the letter from getting awarded the 60%. Will that work? It has a ton of info on it. I also have a letter form own doctor stating I remain unable to work. I should probably have them reword it for me. I really need this.

• HadIt.com Elder

tdak

Your report for SSDI should say you will be disabled for at least one year. VA and SSA have separate rules but being disabled by VA should help with SSA and vice versa. The thing with VA is that you want the reasons for being IU to be solely based on SC conditions.

JOhn,

Thanks a lot. That helps. I have a lo of issues, most of which are a result of my SC disability.

I just don't want to push my luck only to get denied.

Thanks again.