VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssd... Is Medical Exam A Must?

Rate this question

tdak

Question

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they have ever have gotten SSD without a medical exam from the state doctor?

I applied about 3 years ago and had to see a state appointed doctor.

Now that I re-applied, because of even more seriuos conditions, do I have to see a doctor again from the state or will they just go by my own doctors diagnosis'?

If so how long does this usually take. I don't remember it taking this long last time I applied. I know they tell you 120 day which is on my letter from them, but we all know that is onoly a number and not neccessarily an acurate timeframe.

Thanks in advance

Tamara

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

yeah I had letter from va pcychiatrist stating that I couldnt work for at least 12 months. along with all my va medical records that included a few psyche tests that they use for the SSA as well as the VA to determine disabilites. they both use the DSM to determine it. (standard tests) It was all in my VAMC records plus I was going to see them on a regular basis at least once every 3 months for meds. I also included a few personal pages that listed what problems I was having and when they actually started. Sometimes It helps the doctors figure stuff out, even though were not doctors they still consider them. They determine that by credibility. It will say in your case file if they think it is credible or not most likely. In my case they mentioned how detailed they were in the ssd copies I got. I think it helped them to decide. They even went over what the VA had to say and helped me there as well. Matter of fact I sent them my VA stressor letter for PTSD as well for the claim I have. Remember that even if they dont send you to a doctor to be looked at by social security that doctors still look at it in the first stages, theres just no examination at disability determinations. Then if they think they need further evidence, they send you to one. Kinda like a C&P its a good opportunity to have one because you can discuss everything thats bothering ya. I think the SSD process is much easier than the VA process by far. You would think they would just look at either record and be able to make a determination rather quickly but, the VA and the SSD are different entities relying on their own rules. Yeah its great if they just say yes without one but, its also a good way to find other things that you claim for VA wise. Believe me SSA does not pull any punches when it comes to whats wrong with a person. You either qualify 100 percent or you dont.

hopes this helps a little bit.

In our case Rod got SSA for a CVA - only based on VA med recs and then got an award for PTSD with an earlier effective date that also was only based on VA records.(We had filed for reconsideration of disability).

He never saw any SSA doctor.

We sent the PTSD award letter to VARO but they failed to get the SSA records. Funny thing is- they already had them-because the award was based on what they already had.

Still- his shrink provided a letter stating that his PTSD had rendered him unemployable and I believe they considered this letter and awarded 100% P & T for PTSD without even looking at the SSA records.

It goes to show that SSA spent more time with assessing his VA med recs than the VA did.They also had at the SSA office the med recs he incurred in 1983 at VA when he was first diagnosed with PTSD.

And all of his SMrs from the Marines and the Navy.

I just remembered something- Rod had a battery of 6-7 shrink tests after he had a CVA to assess the level of disability for each major problem-

still the tests reflected "catastrophic PTSD" and also significant brain damage and major impairments due to the CVA.

These tests were NOT in his C file -and we did not know enough to get the results and send them to the VA.

But SSA had them.

I realise now how very important these tests were.

The VA could have said that his memory problems from the CVA had wiped out his PTSD memories-a "cure" for his PTSD ----

But these tests revealed severe short term impairment -definitely not long term impairment.

Also his hypnosis records were in the SSA files I believe.

This goes to show something- in those days we "assumed" the VA would access all of his VA records.

There was nothing secret about his shrink test results as I remember the doc called me in with him to discuss them. But it goes to show that it is best to get copies of everything yourself and submit it to the VA.

Years later when I got a copy of the med recs they were in the copy but the VA had never used these test results for his PTSD award.

Edited by Berta