VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can I get a VA award of SMC (K) for my foot

Rate this topic

Question will be VA award my SMC K for my foot

I was told the most VA give is 40% on the lower leg which consist of foot, ankle, and toe. Does anyone know for sure?

I am having surgery on my big toe to remove the following three things Hammertoe, Hallux valgus and Bone spur removal I am presently under treatment for Morton Neuroma (Neurosclerotherpy)

Back ground Information:

I already have 30% on my foot 10% on my ankle and 0% on my Big Toe

right foot pes planus also claimed as right foot arthritis 30%

right foot hallux valgus claimed as right toe pain and right foot arthritis 0%

degenerative joint disease, right ankle 10%

According to VA disablity once you have surgery on Big Toe (Hallux valgus) and have Morton Neurom on any foot give you a rating of 10%

Does this mean, I have a chance to be awarded SMC (k) combined on all three rating foot ankle and toe.

I already have a rating of 30% foot, and ankle 10% already. With the information below I should get another 10% on right foot hallux valgus claimed as right toe pain and right foot arthritis.

Code 5280 When the big toe points toward the second toe, a bunion can form on the outside of the big toe. If the bony bump is removed by surgery, then it is rated 10%. If it is so severe that it is as though the big toe had been amputated, then it is also rated 10%. Otherwise, it is not ratable.

Code 5279 Morton’s disease occurs when a small mass forms over the nerves in between the toes on the pad of the foot. This causes pain when walking or when pressure is applied to these specific points. This is rated 10% whether it is in one foot or both.

• HadIt.com Elder

Look at the rating schedule. If there is a small 2 in front of the percentage it could mean a SMC for that rating.

J

So what do you mean small 2?    I already have 40% on both foot (30) and Ankle (10) and with surgery pending I should get 10% for r toe 

I guess.  If the maximum combined evaluation that can be assigned for all disabilities below the knee which includes the lower leg, ankle, and foot. is 40% and I alraedy have 40% combined both foot and ankle and should get 10% percent per Right Toe upon surgery I should be awarded SMC  (k) 

Its been my experience that SMC, from a practical standpoint, is limited to 100% Vets.  I read the regulations again, and it did not "say" that precisely, but one road to SMC S is "100% plus a combined 60 percent".  

"Loss of use" SMC's, such as SMC K, may not be as stiff requiring 100%, but I just am not aware of Vets who did get SMC unless they were 100%

• HadIt.com Elder

SMC "K" is usually awarded in lieu of a %, or when a compensable disability exists that has no % assigned

A very common "K' award is for ED. 

This is what I was just told. 

Category K Special Monthly Compensation is based solely on the loss of (amputation or removal) or loss of use of a body part or function. 100% is not required.

So if I meet this criteria below then I should be able to received it. Either way is VA will award another 10% base on their guidance on their own code  foot disability then I go to overall 90%

This is what was told me the absolute maximum evaluation (with the exception of a temporary surgical or convalescence rating) for the foot is 40 percent.  Actually this is the maximum combined evaluation that can be assigned for all disabilities below the knee which includes the lower leg, ankle, and foot. 

In most cases when various disabilities reach the point that they combine to a 40 percent or greater evaluation they are all closed out and a single 40 percent is assigned under the diagnostic code for loss of use of the foot.  This 40 percent would also include smc "k"