VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• [[Block 2024-002-top-block is throwing an error]]

PTSD "TO INCLUDE SLEEP DISTURBANCE" Help

Rate this question

USMC_VET

Question

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder To Include Sleep Disturbance        12/03/2015        INC            View Pending Claim

So i just filed for Sleep Apnea but under the Sleep Disturbance secondary to PTSD route.  This is what is showing.

What is "INC" and i am claiming SECONDARY TO and not INLCUDING, i am guess the INC is "Including" however if they consider it INCLUDING they wont rate it seperately and just put the PTSD and OSA symptoms together for one rating.  I think they are trying to avoid the 50% given for CPAP and just include it in PTSD but keep the rating level the same.

I had the same issue, with the VA lumping my sleep problems in with my PTSD and rated them together as "PTSD, to include claimed sleep disturbances".

how did it end up, they jsut rated it all together

• HadIt.com Elder

its there way of screwing veterans out of EED Lumping the sleep disturbance in with the PTSD

If you never had SA or OSA while in service  and was SC for PTSD...& You start having sleep disturbance after PTSD Diagnoses and prescribe Medications...that's the heart of being SC secondary for PTSD

Sleep disturbance should be filed secondary to PTSD by explaining how the meds you take for PTSD has caused the SA/OSA...a SPECILIAST Dr  would  connect the two.

And it should go back to when you was diagnosed with PTSD for EED.

...jmo

.............Buck

It's all about the denial, and low balling the rating.  So with this, if those symptoms were present on the first examination and you have an opinion as to the relationship of those symptoms and service medical records you would think it would be difficult to deny the claim yet the VA does this all the time.

Funny story on my experience is that the very same person that denied my sleep disturbance claim, the doctor that said I was good to go from  my C&P for sleep disturbances and PTSD symptoms, was the very same doctor that the VAMC tried to stick me with in order to treat a disease/condition that I didn't have according to them.  BS.

When I called them out on it they didn't know what to say.  There wasn't anything they could say.  I was right and I caught the VA in a lie and they knew it.

Another time,  I happen to get treatment from a VA doc that wasn't on the VA's game plan.  He didn't last long though. Imagine that.

So I don't go through VA any longer.  That's my choice though.  Choice hmm choice to choose an unbiased provider.  Wow sounds familiar.?

I pay for my care and while it is on my personal insurance at least my doctor doesn't have another agenda. They are vested in my care.  I can't say the same about the VA at least not all the time.

It bloody sucks to depend on folks like the VA  for your care.  So be mindful and be careful. Build a good relationship with your provider and trust them when they have earned it.  As much as I hate to say it there are good doctors and people in the VA, however, too often you run in to the wrong type.

In any case it is well documented on the correlation between PTSD and sleep disturbances.  Sleep disturbances and Sleep Apnea.  The keys again are a medical opinion that ties the two together along with medical evidence of in service symptoms. If the medical opinion can point that out along with medical documentation, you have a good case, at least IMO you do.  

The harder the VA tries to deny this the more evidence you will build for your case/claim.  JMO

I'll go to my corner now.  Good luck.  Hope this helps.

I wanted to add one more statement to this which I omitted and expected people to know.  You also have to have continuing treatment and ongoing symptoms.  I should not have left that part out.  Personally your treatments and or medical attention does not have to come from the VA as the VA seems to shove in our faces.

You have the freedom to choose a provider that has your health near the top of his or her priority lists.