VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD, Sleep Apnea, and Dysthmic Disorder

Rate this question

Big Country

Question

Question:  Can a Doctor provide a statement intended for a nexus letter to link that links PTSD, Sleep Apnea and Dysthmic Disorder?  If so, does anyone have an example they would like to share?

Thanks

Big Country

4 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

A doctor could do that. I don't have an example nexus letter for this, but perhaps this might help:

Here's an example BVA appeal where the vet won SA secondary to PTSD. It is a lengthy read but includes lots of quotes from the sleep study, psychiatist, and pulmonary docs which might help. It looks like the vet went through a lot to get their win. This BVA appeal is not a precedent, but sometimes it can help to see what worked for other vets if what you are trying is not working.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp13/Files2/1316035.txt

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I know a this has been brought up a lot lately here and elsewhere. I figured this would help someone. Now just to get their docs to follow through.

• HadIt.com Elder

here is a good Nexus letter example...not filled in.

Example of a Nexus Letter

DATE ____________

Reference: (Veteran's name) ____________

SS# ____________________         VA File #____________________

To Whom It May Concern,

I am Dr. ____________. I am board certified to practice in my specialty. My credentials are included. I have been asked to write a statement in support of the afore mentioned veterans claim.

I have personally reviewed his medical history. (Name the Documents) I have also reviewed and have noted the circumstances and events of his military service in the years ____________ (Event or Events claimed as the cause of the condition) while he served during his military service. (List dates of service)

Mr. ___________ is a patient under my care since (enter Date). His diagnosis is _____________ (Name the Condition).

I am familiar with his history and have examined Mr.____________ often while he has been under my care. (Specify Lab Work, X-rays, Etc.)

Mr.____________ has no other known risk factors that may have precipitated his current condition.

After a review of the pertinent records it is my professional opinion that it is at least as likely as not that Mr. ____________'s condition is a direct result of his (Event) as due to his military service. (Choose the degree of likelihood with which you can concur - "at least as likely as not", "more than likely", or "highly likely")

In my personal experience and in the medical literature it is known (Give a rationale).

Signed,

Dr. ____________
(List credentials and contact information)

Please understand that the VA often uses credentials to assign probative value to the nexus letter.
While the nexus letter must be brief as possible it should be as detailed and complete as the circumstances dicta