VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Family health insurance for 100% DV

Rate this question

moneymike

Question

Hello everyone. I'm sure that there is a more appropriate place for this, and if admin would like to place this in a more appropriate place, I understand.  I have been awarded 100% but just lost my job/family health insurance.  I was looking at tricare, but I am not a retiree, just plain old ETS.  If anyone knows of any entitlements that I'm unaware of so that I can get my sick child and pregnant wife to the hospital without breaking the bank, please let me know.

Thank you all, so much!!!

Mike 

Edited by moneymike
typo

Welcome aboard and congrats on your 100%. If you do not have other Insurance, then your wife for sure qualifies for ChampVA. I dont know about the children, as I pay for Tricare Prime for the family. Just go to your local VA and ask them if or what you qualify for. Good luck and GOd Bless

If you are P & T (permanent and total) then your dependents qualify for ChampVA. The signing up for it is pretty simple, you can download the forms from the ChampVA website. Fill out (I faxed them), wait 2-3 weeks and then call to make sure they were received and processed in. They may ask for information about OHI (other health insurance) but that is, in part, to know if they can cover something if your eligibility date is backdated from a medical visit. All in all its taken about 6-8 weeks to finalize my dependents and verify that they are covered. 

It does not cover dental or cosmetic procedures, but most any of your medically necessary stuff and routine visit types of things will be billable to VA, just give your doctor/billing the social security number of your particular dependent. The biller then calls ChampVA in Denver and uses that number to identify the appropriate dependent for billing. 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

In addition to what brokensoldier posted, which is great info, once you do get CHAMPVA for your family, be sure to request proof of health insurance coverage to help out when tax time rolls around. CHAMPVA will provide one for your dependents. You can get one from the VA just for you.

• HadIt.com Elder

Being 100% you can check out ARM  (American Retired Military) ..Actually you don't need to be Retired  if your a 100%disable veteran THAT qualifies you for a supplemental Insurance through ARM

This insurance is only for retired or 100%disable veterans. We have it for my spouse with Champ VA   (74.00 Month)

25.00 yearly membership to ARM and then you can get this insurance   through ''Selman'' Insurance.

The only thing about it  we didn't like  it does have a pre-existing waiting period of 6 months but will cover any all conditions after 6 months then it covers everything as a supplemental  it covers the other 25% champ VA don't pay

its 200 Deductible  vs 50 deductible for Champ VA

I'll check out as to where this post will do the most good or read more.& move it.

.............Buck

WOW!!!  Thank you all for getting some answers out there so fast!!!  This is much more, much faster than I had anticipated!   Unfortunately, I'm not at a 'permanent" status, (I wish), but hopefully one day.  I will call Champ VA (I hadn't even heard of this, as well as ARM, and see what they offer as well as anyplace else they may recommend.  I really just felt that I had no place to even start looking and this is pointing me in the right direction.  

Thanks again!!!

Mike

Also, depending on your financials you may also qualify (the kids, anyway) under medicaid, Child Supplemental, or whatever they may call it where you live. It dovetails in with Champ, too. 

Congrats, of a sort, and welcome to the club- one of the few that people don't wish they were a member of.