VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disability Codes

Rate this question

Brandy

Question

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with these two questions;

1. Is there a list posted anywhere that shows what the VA's codes mean, such as:

Posttraumatic stress disorder 309.81 Where can I find the internal codes they use that shows the 309.81? or for GERD 530.81?

2. Where can I find the Army's list of disabilities similar to the VA's rating codes like:

Diabetes Mellitus - Code 2509 (VA uses 7913)

Thank you.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

These numbers are the DMS-IV codes used by mental health professionals throughout the world. The last number, in your case the 1 is the number used to designate in mood disorders how severe it is. For example;

In the mood disorders, the fifth digit is used to denote severity for Major Depressive, Manic, and

Mixed episodes: .01 = Mild; .02 = Moderate; .03 = Severe Without Psychotic Features;

.04 = Severe With Psychotic Features; .05 = In Partial Remission; .06 = In Full Remission;

.00 = Unspecified

Try this webpage http://www.psychnet-uk.com/dsm_iv/_misc/co...tables.htm#Name

Vike 17

These numbers are the DMS-IV codes used by mental health professionals throughout the world. The last number, in your case the 1 is the number used to designate in mood disorders how severe it is. For example;

In the mood disorders, the fifth digit is used to denote severity for Major Depressive, Manic, and

Mixed episodes: .01 = Mild; .02 = Moderate; .03 = Severe Without Psychotic Features;

.04 = Severe With Psychotic Features; .05 = In Partial Remission; .06 = In Full Remission;

.00 = Unspecified

Try this webpage http://www.psychnet-uk.com/dsm_iv/_misc/co...tables.htm#Name

Vike 17

Vike,

Thanks, Vike. I guess I misled you. Sorry..... I used the 309.81 as an example. Some of the codes listed next to a medical problem by the local VA clinic are like: ECD-9-CM 588.8 and 414.00 (CAD) and 244.9 (Hypothyroidism)

Do you know where I might find these?

• HadIt.com Elder

Brandy,

I assume you mean the ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM codes. These are diagnosis codes adopted by the international medical community, more specifically by the World Health Organization. The ICD-9CM codes were replaced, I think in 1999, by the ICD-10CM codes.

Try this website; http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/about/otheract/icd9/abticd10.htm

Vike 17

Brandy,

I assume you mean the ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM codes. These are diagnosis codes adopted by the international medical community, more specifically by the World Health Organization. The ICD-9CM codes were replaced, I think in 1999, by the ICD-10CM codes.

Try this website; http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/about/otheract/icd9/abticd10.htm

Vike 17

This is exactly what I was looking for! I recently requested copies of medical information from the local Va clinic and under the problem list they state the condition and this number next to it. This really helps me to understand this. They have CAD and "other specified disorders resulting from impaired renal function" listed as 414.00 and 588.8. They list these as 'service connected condition", but yet for renal failure they do not have as service connected.

We only recently claimed renal failure (date entered 6/21/06) and CAD (date entered 10/14/05) and have not received a rating. My husband is going for a C&P exam next week for this. How can they list these as SC when we have not received a rating or any compensation? We filed the claim in Dec.2005.