VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can we get travel pay?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Anybody know if we can get travel pay  when we have a PTSD C&P?

My reason for asking  I may get one here in the next month or two   a veteran at my VAMC mention to me that they are not doing

PTSD C&P at our VAMC..We have to go to a different location.....its  is about 50 miles away  vs 22 miles from my VAMC.

Anybody Know?

............Thanks

.............................Buck

My travel pay comes in paper check form, and runs between $14.50 and $16.50, even though it's the same place.  I tried the kiosk once and it wanted account info for travel beneficiary...so I just canceled that and filed out the paper request.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Well now VAMCs has put a new wrinkle that makes thing both easier and harder.  My VAMC travel pay was so backed up (about 2 months)  they decided to start using Kiosk Machines. The machines are real simple, just follow the directions for submitting travel pay the day of your appointment. No line to wait at the travel window.  I get my travel pay deposited in my account but I have no idea of what day it was for so it is really messed up.  I think the VAMCs still have travel windows for those who use a taxi or those who use a driving service for them to submit some type of travel voucher.  Of course they will always have a cashiers window for those they charge for any type of bill. 

P. S. This is totally off the subject but I was just wondering the other day that VA has these kiosk machines all over the hospital. I also notice that VA still kept their travel pay employees.  So my thoughts were I wonder how much all these machines cost and why in the heck would VA purchase them and keep the travel pay employees and paying them for the same job the kiosk machines are doing.

At the Birmingham VAMC, half the kiosk's have "out of order" signs on them. It makes me wonder if some government union employees printed out the out of order signs and just go around randomly putting them on the kiosks. Also, ours do not process travel yet. I always tell the clerk I get travel in hopes they print out the voucher before my appointment is over. About a week later, I get one of those Statue of Liberty treasury checks in the mail along with a printout so I know what day was being paid. When I cash them at the bank, they always joke and tell me not to spend it all in one place.

yes I agree pete992 kiosk machine  

they pay double on the amount paid, it only happens to me when I go to MH, I CHECK IN using the Kiosk machine AND ALWAYS ADD THE TRAVEL PAY, and then my therapist tells me to go check out with the clerk for future appointments and travel pay, the clerk puts it in the computer and has me to sign a paper for travel pay, then when I look on my bank statements at the 1st of the month  it shows the travel pay for two appointments at MH..MY TRAVLE MILAGE IS 22MILES TO AND FROM 44 miles and its usually 13.09 $ and with MH appointments its always 1906 $?

All other appointments only pay the 13.09...MH appointments pay 1906?

I think when you use the kiosk machine  it don't let the clerks know? I even told the clerk at MH I FILED FOR TRAVEL PAY ON THE KI0SK MACHINE, but he had me sign the travel pay paper when I checked out for my appointment.

I usually get my travel pay at the end of the month (for the month) and they combined all the appointments for that month and send them direct deposit.

I was wondering if they catch this  will I have to pay it back? not my mistake!

...........Buck

Buck
I'm not sure if this might explain it, but at the Birmingham VAMC, they take a $6 "deductible" from your first three round trip travel vouchers for a calendar month. Any others after that you get the full amount. If your MH appointments are toward the end of the month, that might be why. I believe someone told me that C&P exams are not subject to the "deductible".

I personally don't see the "deductible" as anything short of the VAMC's skimming off the top. I hear stories that it is used for local VAMC "purposes", but truly believe they are enjoying ripping us all off. Even being 100% P&T, they still confiscate the "deductible" from my travel checks.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yeah ain't that the truth Vync

I told them about it so but  if they keep doing it...I'll take it..it could add up though, I have had as many appointments as 12 in one month, back when I started Move program its once a week for 16 weeks and in between I had other appointments, it was not always like this tho, since Bob Robert McDonald took over  it seems the appointment times got better  but could be just a coincidence too?

Those appointments damn near killed me  its just the way it worked out, I gripe for years about not getting an appointment in 30 days and all of a sudden I had 12 in one month...the VA works in mysterious ways  eh!

I never thought to ask for travel pay with the choice card   but it was in the same town or close to where I live Plano Tx..I live in Rowlett Tx  maybe 10 miles or so just off George Bush Turnpike off Preston Ave.

.............Buck

I hope they don't make me go to my RO for a C&P ? Anybody ever heard of that?

The Montgomery Alabama RO and VAMC are adjacent to each other. I guess veterans served in that area practically go to the RO for the C&P exams.

Check your travel amounts and see if the first three for a given calendar month are less than all the others.