VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD and being educated

Rate this question

Nobleofthedesert

Question

Recently completed examination for PTSD, however I was not happy with how it went. When asked about my history, I provided that I completed a BA, MS, and currently working on an EdD. It appeared the doctor had the opinion that I could not possibly be suffering from PTSD because of my career field and educational attainment. As a rebuttal, I was sure to emphasize the fact online education was my way to deal with my internal issues. At the end it was mentioned, I do have PTSD but my rating maybe minimal. The examination does not make sense to me because we all deal with issues differently. What does the group think? 

Edited by Nobleofthedesert

• HadIt.com Elder

Am I correct, you completed a VA PTSD DBQ and reviewed the New DSM V, well in advance of your PTSD C & P? Given that, how do your symptoms comport with the VA's CFR 4  PTSD Rating Schedule? Post service education attainments speak directly to your disability picture, especially with a PTSD rating. Concentration, memory (Long & short term), ability to organize and communicate all come to mind.

If you remove your post service education from consideration, how Fracked up. per your responses to the DBQ queries, are you?

I assume you have a history of treatment and are currently receiving VA MH Therapy for PTSD?

Did you file an PTSD FDC?

Might be a good idea to get schooled on VA Appeals, start thinking NOD.

Semper Fi

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Recently completed examination for PTSD, however I was not happy with how it went. When asked about my history, I provided that I completed a BA, MS, and currently working on an EdD. It appeared the doctor had the opinion that I could not possibly be suffering from PTSD because of my career field and educational attainment. As a rebuttal, I was sure to emphasize the fact online education was my way to deal with my internal issues. At the end it was mentioned, I do have PTSD but my rating maybe minimal. The examination does not make sense to me because we all deal with issues differently. What does the group think? 

Some VA C&P examiners hesitate to diagnose PTSD at all and are jerks about it. They start by saying you have an "adjustment disorder" and want to see months or years of treatment before they apply those sacred four letters. Many may not only have PTSD, but may also have other problems, such as agoraphobia, which is the fear of crowded places. Regardless of what MH conditions one has, the VA RO gives a single rating based on the functional impact it has on your professional and social life -- not just one, but both.

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't think it should matter how a veteran gets relief from his PTSD Symptoms

if the Veteran was Diagnose with PTSD and has most of the symptoms  it should not matter how  or what the veteran uses to cope with it ( except drugs or alcohol )   sitting at a computer alone getting a better education  he/she is not out in public  an examiner should take that into consideration.  he/she still has the PTSD.

Just sitting out on my back porch in the mornings seems to help me cope  although I'm alone.

JMO

............Buck

Sorry to hear of your hard times, but the Education should not have much effect on your Rating, as long as your Diagnoses is Documented and you are currently seeking treatment.  I actually did not have my HS when I joined the Navy. While in I got the diploma in 2006, and from 06-13 I got 2 Bachelors, Double Masters and was working on my Doctorate, while graduating Magna. Being smart or dedicated has nothing to do with PTSD. During that time I spent 3 months in a Mental Hospital and worked 2 part time jobs while being active, as I was  Geobachelor and had to keep my mind distracted.  Sorry for the rambling, basically as long as the symptoms and history of treatment is there you will be fine. I trully wish you the best my friend. Good luck and keep us posted, God Bless