VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Temporary 100% for Hospitalization - Not service connected - Service Connected Treatment

Rate this question

escalady

Question

Hello,

I am not sure if I am posting in the correct forum. I am trying to obtain some assistance in regards to my spouse who is a retired veteran; was 90% before a reduction to 80% (I believe) due to no-show for appointment. He is currently in the hospital and has been since 17 November 2015. He was released to a licensed skilled care nursing facility almost 2 weeks ago, which is where he is at this time. I read that it may be possible to apply for temporary 100% when hospitalization is greater than 21 days for service connected disabilities or for non-service connected disabilities where service conected issues are being cared for. My husband (legally separated) was denied ratings for liver disease, alcoholism, pancreatitis, along with a range of other health issues. He was admitted to the hospital under emergency situations and was med evac'ed out of the area to a regular hospital. Originally he had critically low potassium, magnesium, imbalance of electrolytes, high ammonia levels which resulted in altered status (hallucinations, issues with short term memory, eyes and body jaundiced, lack of ability to walk and communicate at times, etc.), low blood count (required 2 transfusions), high white blood cell count, etc. After 2 weeks, they determined that the mental issues had been going on for some time and that he had cirrosis of the liver and requires a transplant. In 2007, he was granted 50% sleep apnea, 30% anxiety, 10% for hypertension, 10% for reflux, rated at 0% for sinusitis, rated at 0% for hemorrhoids among a range of other health conditions. He had began having 3-4 panic attacks on a daily basis and failed to show for his exam which resulted in him being given a 0% rating. There is another rated condition that was reduced; I believe it was for 20%. He has had issues of unregulated high blood pressures for some time and multiple sinus infections on a monthly basis.

While in the hospital and the licensed skilled nursing facility

• His blood pressure has been as high as 205/115 while in the hospital and while in the nursing facility has been on average 140/105. He is being treated with a medicine when it escalates.
  • He has issues with digestion and complains of reflux.
  • Currently has an infection and on antibiotics. My husband says his sinuses are bothering him, however, the type of infection won't be known for another day or 2.
  • He currently has a hemorrhoid that is visible.

I wanted to provide as much detail that I could and am willing to provide additional information if needed. I have submitted a form, so that I can speak on his behalf to VA. I understand that problems could arise if I re-open the claim for the 2 conditions that were reduced if I make an attempt to file for temporary 100% if he qualifies. I have read that the order of filing etc. is important. Any help or assistance that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

1 answer to this question

File an FDC for the temporary convalescence (100%). The form is 21-526EZ.  I would use the VA 21-4138 to replace Question #11.  That way you can go into detail why you are requesting the 100%, what conditions you are requesting they S/C for it as well.

I hope this helps!

Steph