VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Out Of Pain Meds

Rate this topic

What is wrong with VA Pharmacies and Pain Doctors? Ok, before I start let me tell you that my head is not on straight. Over the last week I have had to call the pharmacy and my doctor to try to get my pain meds.  Several times a year even though I see my doctor three to four times a year my prescriptions runs out or my prescription is changed to where I am completely out of medication.  I do not understand this since I call way in advance to get my refill but something goes wrong.  Then the pharmacy tells me that my doctor forgot to do something and when I call my doctors nurse she tells me that the pharmacy is missing the doctors response and in the mean time I run out of my medication and I can't even think straight dealing with the pain and now frustration that I am going through.  One time the nurse told me that because it is a controlled substance that they had to check the data base and found out that I signed for a refill and paid for it so I could not get another refill.  Wow, talking about being really irritated having to listen to her lie was pushing me a little bit too far.  Sometimes I think VA wants to see how far they can push a veteran before he/she flips out or just do something really stupid to cause them to get in trouble. As I said with the medication completely out of my system and my brain is off and now once I get the new prescription I have to start all over  trying to calm my brain down.  Yes, I know take a deep breath and try to relax and don't blow a gasket.  Easier said than done when you hurt all over and your brain is thinking what is wrong with these people. My brain maybe off and I might be a little crazy and you can run tell that but I truly believe what goes around will come around and all I have to do is keep myself out of trouble.

...and the generic types 'puck's,' they've pulled that crap on me several times also, I have to call the refill in at least 12 days prior to refill date, write down/record the pharma tech's name/conversation, request the individual meds are typed on separate lines, call the pharma tech multiple times until they inform me that the doctor is reviewing my request, then review myhealthevet for the refills status, 'discontinued,' 'in process' and then 'active,' call up for the tracking number, and then pray that the meds w/o all the 'buffers' are not sent and the 'real McCoy's are the one's in the package, for the sake of my liver's health. What a 'song and dance' this whole monthly refill routine has become Pete992...! 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

What is wrong with VA Pharmacies and Pain Doctors? Ok, before I start let me tell you that my head is not on straight. Over the last week I have had to call the pharmacy and my doctor to try to get my pain meds.  Several times a year even though I see my doctor three to four times a year my prescriptions runs out or my prescription is changed to where I am completely out of medication.  I do not understand this since I call way in advance to get my refill but something goes wrong.  Then the pharmacy tells me that my doctor forgot to do something and when I call my doctors nurse she tells me that the pharmacy is missing the doctors response and in the mean time I run out of my medication and I can't even think straight dealing with the pain and now frustration that I am going through.  One time the nurse told me that because it is a controlled substance that they had to check the data base and found out that I signed for a refill and paid for it so I could not get another refill.  Wow, talking about being really irritated having to listen to her lie was pushing me a little bit too far.  Sometimes I think VA wants to see how far they can push a veteran before he/she flips out or just do something really stupid to cause them to get in trouble. As I said with the medication completely out of my system and my brain is off and now once I get the new prescription I have to start all over  trying to calm my brain down.  Yes, I know take a deep breath and try to relax and don't blow a gasket.  Easier said than done when you hurt all over and your brain is thinking what is wrong with these people. My brain maybe off and I might be a little crazy and you can run tell that but I truly believe what goes around will come around and all I have to do is keep myself out of trouble.

Hey Pete,
I'm sorry they are jerking you around like that. I also am having the exact same problem. I'm completely out of pain medication and have tried since August 2015 to get it refilled. One moment they say they are going to prescribe it, but the next they backpedal with another excuse. I'm coughing up a small fortune for private chiropractor and acupuncture visits, which seems to be barely helping. However, all it takes is something as simple as a sneeze and it is all downhill from there. My VA doc wants me to go through their crappy physical therapy program again for six more visits. If there is no improvement, then they will "explore" a civilian chiropractor. So much for the VA Patients Bill of Rights and the fact that it states we have the right to have our pain treated. They are treating our pain like it is in our heads.

A trip to your VMC Emergency room might help get something for the pain.

As for alternative Pain Therapy, has your VMC opened up an Acupuncture clinic yet.  I've been getting VA Acupuncture and "Essential Oils" Pain mixtures," at no cost from my VMC since 09/15. Pleasantly surprised, both  really seem to help take the edge off the pain.

Semper Fi

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

A trip to your VMC Emergency room might help get something for the pain.

As for alternative Pain Therapy, has your VMC opened up an Acupuncture clinic yet.  I've been getting VA Acupuncture and "Essential Oils" Pain mixtures," at no cost from my VMC since 09/15. Pleasantly surprised, both  really seem to help take the edge off the pain.

Semper Fi

Hey Gastone,
What about the opiate contract that I signed with my VA primary care doc? Does the ER team have to contact them first? Would they make me revoke the contract and then sign a new one for the ER doc?

My VAMC does not have chiropractic or acupuncture services. I was told that they have a doctor in training for acupuncture, but no idea how long. They said the nearest VA clinic offering it is about a four hour drive. They offered to setup a referral there after I complete six more PT sessions, but my private chiropractor said that kind of drive would completely defeat any benefit offered by acupuncture.

I guess I am living a blessed life!

Every month I have to send me PCP a note asking to have my pain med refilled and usually because it has to be signed for it comes by UPS in like 2 /3 days. I also have a back up script for tramadol just in case they mess up.

Pete I use myhealth evet to message my doctor and he is very good and getting back to me same day!

Stillhere